Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stand Placement w/ wind consideration >

Stand Placement w/ wind consideration

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand Placement w/ wind consideration

Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default Stand Placement w/ wind consideration

I have a question about wind and stand placement. My dilemma, Correct me if I'm wrong, I want to set my stand downwind of a trail. Do I want to face the trail and have the wind directly hitting my face or should the wind hit my back? Living in Michigan the wind will blow from the west ornorthwest primarily out of canada. Sometimes it will blow out of the north directly.But that is generally the direction the wind blows.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stand Placement w/ wind consideration

You want the wind blowing from the expected deer location or travel route towards you. Thus carrying your scent away from the deer.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think you want the wind to blow your scent to where the deer will LEAST likely be. that simple. i think that does not nessesaraly mean blowing directly toward you from where deer are MOST likely to be....in fact deer seem to move best with a crosswind(around here)
Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

I to have noticed that deer seem to travel crosswind alot, which confuses me more of where to place stands. That's why I will sometimes adopt the attitude of place the stand anywhere.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

How successful have you been with this method?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its ok tohunt with the wind blowing perpendicular(or even a quartering breeze, as longas it is steady)to a line drawn along where deer are likely to move. hang your stand on the downwind side of the trail.

if you just hang your stand on one side of where deer are likely to move, like in a pinch point or funnel, you can get perhaps a 120 degree range of winds that will work for you(those that do not blow toward the deer when they are approaching, passing, and leaving your area).....of course that is in an ideal situation, most of the time you may only get, say, a south and southwest to work since deer tend to wander a little.

Would it work for you to place two stands, one on each side of the trail? that way you can hunt it more often, and with lower impact, choosing the stand that suits the wind.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Actually very sucessful during gun season.During bow season I need to getthe deer closer But I want to be better, I know I can. I want a chance at bigger bucks. I've always been a little confused at where to correctly place my standin relation to trails and wind direction. Maybe I've been more lucky than anything else. I want the best way for the best chance.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

It depends. I like to have the wind hitting me in face or left shoulder, but that'sin a stand where I'm in a natural funnel and have a good idea that the deer will approach from that direction. I've got another stand where there is no funnel and they come from anywhere, in that case, it's just a gamble. I spray down frequently while hunting to minimize scent should a deer come from the "wrong" direction.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

I have my stand facing the north now, with the wind either hitting my left shoulder or the wind is coming out of the northwest and it hits my left cheek.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do the deer generally come from your left or your right...or other? it sounds like you are fine as long as deer generally do not go behind you.

Quick Reply: Stand Placement w/ wind consideration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.