Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey decoy placement?? >

Turkey decoy placement??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey decoy placement??

Old 03-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey decoy placement??

I know this has been asked before but I cannot ever get the search on this site to come up with anything. Anyway, I was planning on using a hen and a jake decoy. Which way do I place these ? As you can tell I am new to turkey hunting. Any help would be great. Should I use a different number or type of dekes?? I will be hunting private land with very little turkey hunting pressure. I dont see to many birds in the fall but in the spring they always seem to be there.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Turkey decoy placement??

If your seeing turkeys on the land you hunt in the spring that is great. Turkeys have fall and spring spots where the migrate too. Decoys are usually placed out about 20 yards. There are various ways to set up the decoys. If your hunting a field place them 20 yards out. I would place them fairly close to one another. You really need to scroll thru the pages on here. Someone just placed some info on decoys just the other day. If your hunting timber make sure the decoys are placed 20 yards out and in an open area so they can be seen by the gobbler. Using decoys in the timber is hard for the turkeys to see. Now lots of hunter use decoys like a breeding pair. They set one hen decoy on the ground and place the jake or tom on top of the hen to make it look as they are breeding. A lot depends on where your hunting. hope this helps...
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

There are differnt way's to set them up,,I've had luck on the edge of a feild I will put a hen ten to fifteen yds infront of me and have the jake aboutfiteen feet behind it like it's following it.
Most times I will just use two hen decoy's out in front of me.
In Hardwoods i'll set up on the top of the ridge and put out two to three hens with a jake decoy following.
Like I said there alot of differnt way's to set them.
I like to keep them close so the Tom dosen't hang up to far out.
Hope this help's without confusing you.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM

b
t t t t t t t tttttttttttt

d

h h

B=Blind t=trees d- tom decoy h=hen decoy
Here is how i'm set for this spring there is a lot of ground brush and trees.
Behind me is a creek bed and depending if there movement in to the field changes and can change around the decoys.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Whatever you decide (every situation is different) be sure that your hen is facing AWAY from you, and your Jake is facing TOWARDS you....

Almost always a Gobbler will try to get in front of the Jake first.....then you smack 'em!!!!

Hunt Safe!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thats a good call ICALL2MUCH