Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wind & Stand Placement >

Wind & Stand Placement

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wind & Stand Placement

Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default Wind & Stand Placement

I'm a little confused on wind, and whether you want the wind in your face or to your back when your in your treestand.

In michigan in the fall and early winter the wind will start coming in from the west and northwest predominately. Do I want to set my stands up so that I am facing the west / northwest or have my back to the west / northwest. ????
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wind & Stand Placement

Don't think of where the wind hits you, think of where it blows your stink. Have a relatively good idea (or a perfect idea) of where the deer will be traveling to/from and keep your smell away from it.

Does that answer your question?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 AM

Stay down wind of all the deer activity. If the wind blows mostly out of the NW stay on the SE side of the activity. The animal scent will be blowing in to you not the other way around
Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want to face into the wind. Ifthe wind is from the NW, then you want your stand SE of where you predict the deer will be so that you can face into the wind and ahve your scent blown behind you.

A crosswind component is OK too as long as your scent stream is being carried away from the deer's most likely location.

It is still a good idea to remain as scent free as possible because the deer and the weather may not behave as predicted.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

Anymore thoughts
Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RT1

Anymore thoughts
I agree 100% with what they've said.

The only thing to add is NEVER hunt a stand if the wind is not in your favor. If the wind direction changes on you mid-hunt, climb down and quietly slip out of there.

Also,pay attention to wind direction when you're traveling to and from your stand as well. Plan your route so that your scent is blown away from where you believe the deer to be bedded or traveling. If that means you have to walk a half mile out of your way to avoid having your scent blowing into a bedding area, then do it.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I mostly use a climber. When I find an area I want to hunt for whatever reasons I look for 2 stand sites. One to hunt with the normal wind... West to NW.. to N and one to cover a SE.. East wind. Trees dictate alot but usually you can find something to accomodate the winds within a 20-50 yards. You just have to know the winds and thermals in an area before you can make a wise stand choice. Carry a compass while scouting. You'd be surprised at what a few degrees one way or another can make. Throw in daytime thermals, a little extra elevation and you can bend the rules sometimes, but not often. If you screw up.... well you're just screwed. LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 PM

also, scent block. I use scent killer in a spay bottle. A couple of years ago I had a young buck 10-15 yrds away with the wind blowing into him. He seemed alerted but did not bolt. Well he bolted when I hit the tree branch in front of him though. LOL good luck