Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

first year hunting alone

Old 09-25-2002, 03:57 PM

Default first year hunting alone

hey guys i'm 15 right know but in a few months i will be 16 and i will be able to start hunting by my self and i have a few ?
1 what kinda camo and what kinda clothes to where
2.i have a dog what should i do to pre pair her she is very well trained
3.what kinda decoys and how many i only have 2 goose and 4 duck i know pathitic but i can't find any one to sell any (lol i spent all my money on my dog and gettin her trained she is grett a year and one half yellow but like peer white lab shes my best bud)
4. i have a mossberg 3 and 1/2 ince 835 do i need to get other chokes besid the improved it came with and do i need to camo it.
5 i'm in weilding class and i wanna make a portibel lay out blind and i was wonderin if any one had any planes for one or if that had a better segestion
6.i have 1 big river goose flute and one big river duck call do i need any other calls and i can't figure out how to do the feeding call so if u could also tell me that.
7.last what kinda decoys bag should i get or how can u make one and o yah since i'm in weilding i was goin to make me a cart to carry all this stuff out with so if u have any ideas on that

thanx a lot i know this is a lot of questions but i'm so exited i hope i get some this year i can't wait. so if u could help me that would be great. thanx a lot and happy hunting. my e-mail is [email protected] thanx
Old 09-27-2002, 07:52 PM

Default RE: first year hunting alone

Welcome to the solo world. Heres a few things I;ve learned from my few years of experience I hope they help.
1. camo it depends on your surroundings. The most import thing in clothing is warm dry and comfortable. For really cheap camo especially if you hunting in a marsh or field is burlap with spray painted with some flat black stripes or just mudded up. Lay down throw it over you and your good to go.

3. Decoys depend on your hunting spots. I have one spot where I take two black duck decoys and thats all I need. The bigger the spot the more you need. I would have at least a dozen mallards 4 geese and a few other exotics scattered in.

4. Your improved choke is fine. You don't need to camo the gun. Just hold it across your lap nder the burlap.

7. for duck decoys just go to a local Army Navy and get and old duffel. You should be able to get a dozen ducks in it.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions fell free to ask. Good Luck this season

Save the sport. Take a kid hunting twice and hook them for life!!!
Old 09-27-2002, 10:41 PM

hey thanx a ton i never thought of a duffle bag or muddin up some burlap thanx a ton for replieing.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome kolb7. It's great to have a new hunter. Hey guys, lets help the new one out.

As a person who designs camouflage, I can tell you there is no particluar camouflage that will work in all situations. Choose any brand that looks like where-ever it is that you are hunting. If you are buying clothes, at least get something waterproof. If you hunt enough you're going to get rained or snowed on. You don't need insulated, because you can wear any insulation or heavy clothes you have under your camouflage.

Make sure the dog will stay put, retrieve when told to, come back when told to, and enjoys retrieveing.

Use the decoys you have. When you have enough money get another 12 mallard decoys, then you can add another 6 goose decoys when you can afford them.

Forget about makeing a steel lay down blind, they are too heavy. If you get good camouflage you shouldn't need a blind. If you feel the need for a blind (for the dog) use available cover, or make a blind out of PVC pipe or conduit, and use camouflage material over it.

Forget the carry-all. Get one of those plastic sleds/toboggans kids use to slid in the snow, and paint it tan and brown, or cover it with camo material. Just load it up with your decoys, camo, gun, shells, and lunch, and grab the rope to drag your stuff in.

Your choke should be fine. I use a Mossberg 835 with Federal 4's and 2's for duck, T's and BB's for geese.

A gunnysack works great for a decoy bag, get a mesh decoy bag with shoulder straps when you can. It make it easier to carry the decoys.

I use Big River and Haydel's calls. Get a calling tape from Haydel's. I can get you their number if you e-mail me. You make the feeding chuckle by saying "tick-a ... tick-a ... tick-a ... tick-a" into the call as fast as you can.

If you have specific questions e-mail me, I'll help any way I can. I guide and write about huntng for a living. Good luck and God bless you.

T.R. Michels

T.R. Michels