Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Video Camera Question >

Video Camera Question

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Video Camera Question

Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Spike

Default Video Camera Question

I am wanting to purchase a new video camera for family and hunting use. What are some of your opinions and choices? Pros and Cons? Tips and tricks to videoing of hunting trips? I mainly want to video by kids hunting and fishing trips so they can look back when they are older. I don't want to have a bunch ofobsolete videos around nobody can play 10 or 15 years from now.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Video Camera Question

Hi Ferguson,

Although I'm not too fimiliar with the DVD camcorders, one of those might be a good choice if you just want something torecord and viewfor home use. That way you already have your video on a media that will last longer than tape. Especially if your not into editing (you can do limited editing on most models)or wanting to trasfer your video onto DVD, it's all ready to pop right into your DVD player to view. Since these cameras are relitively small, a shoulder brace/mount should be strongly recommendedfor a steadier shot. Also depending on the money you want to spend, opt forthe largest diameter lense, largest OPTICAL zoom (Digital zoomis practically worthless as far as quality is concerned), and Panasonic now offers a 3 CCD DVD camcorder which will provide better overall image quality. Here is a link that might help you out and give you some more information on these types of camcorders. Digital Camera Info. We make hunting videos, but are more into the higher end cameras, which are probably more than what your looking for in what you want to do. But I hope this might help some and if you have anymore questions, you can e-mail me at[email protected]. With so many options and variables, it would be hard for me to try to pin-point exactly what you might be looking for. But I'd be glad to help out in any way thatI can.

Steve.
Outdoor Encounters
Old 06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Sony Digital8 that i use. I have used ot for hunting, fishing, making music videos, filming fourwheeler videos and other stuff like that. I like it becouse its digital and i can stream the video onto my computer and edit the stuff.

Check my youtube page for some examples of my vids:

www.youtube.com/cay4redneck
Old 06-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

It all depends on the price you want to pay, there a lot of choices out there, you can go from mabey a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand bucks. It sounds like to me a lower end camera would suit you just fine, it doesnt really matter what format you use, tapes, dvd, internal hardrive, as long as you can put it onto a computer. From a computer you can burn it onto a dvd pretty easily. I would highly recommend learning how to do some basic editing on the computer, windows usually comes with a program called windows movie maker and if you dont have it you can probably download it. It is fairly easy to learn, just mess around with it and you will eventually figure it out, it makes things really nice like you can cut out parts you dont want or add music or pictures. Do alot of research on the model you are thinking about buying make sure you can trasfer the video to you computer, also get a better transfer cable than the one you get with it or the quality will be really bad once it makes it to your computer, i would suggest a firewire cable. If you dont understand all the technical talk go to an electronics store like circuit city and tell them what you want to do with your camera and they should be able to get you set up. Also if you got anymore questions just post them in the forum.