Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Camera temperature question >

Camera temperature question

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Camera temperature question

Old 01-13-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Camera temperature question

I want to get a new digital cameraand have narrowed it down to a couple of good point and shoot cameras(haven't entirely ruled out a digital SLR so any recomendations in this area welcome as well). However I am concerned about operating temperature. Most have a limit of 32F. Carrying it in your pack all day there is not way to keep it above that in late season . Has anyone had any problems with a digital camera not operating in the cold??

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Camera temperature question

I noticed mine was not opperating right the other day when I was out. When I tried to zoom in on an eagle it shut down on me. So, I took a picture and used my computor to blow it up some. It was around 15 degrees out and snowing at the time. I thought it was something I was doing but, now I realize maybe not.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

GO SLR!! If it's in the budget you'llNEVER regret it. Canon or Nikon. Both are great. It's the traditional Ford vs. Chevy debate w/those.

I'm a photographer and I always have at least one camera w/me all the time. I've been in some pretty frigid weather w/them and I've never had any of my Canon's give me trouble.(get's pretty cold inAlaska ya know)You will notice start up time a little sluggish but not anything to worry about. Main thing to worry about is moisture and when it gets colder that makes it worse. Slowly transition them to the heat after being outside they WILL fog up and WILL sweat.

My recomendations to you are:

Canon 400D
75-300 f/4.0-5.6 (if you can afford it the 70-300 IS or the 100-400 IS)
28-105 f/3.5-4.5
Sturdy Tripod

OR

Nikon D80
70-300 f/4-5.6 (if you can afford it the 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR)
24-85 f/2.8-4.0
Sturdy Tripod

I'm a bit bias to Canon because they've been so goodto mefor so long but it's hard to beat Nikon glass.

ADDED: This was taken in just outside of Denver (don't know exactly where you're at in CO) and it was about 2 degrees that day and I had no problems.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/tnhagies/IMG_7954B.jpg
Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

SLR's make point-and-shoots look like cracker jack prizes. If an SLR is in the budget, there is no way I would go point-and-shoot.

I agree with everything recommended by TNHagies, but I'd also throw Pentax in the mix.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info TNHagies & North Texan.

I'm going to save for a Digital SLR. From the info I have read, it would be better to buy just thebody and get a better lense than what comes withthe package deal. Is this good advice for general photography?
Just trying to keep the price down.

Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, generally those "kit lenes" arenot the best quality. You can get realsoft images w/them and that can be very frustrating when you see other people's work. Granted I don't know how often and for what purposes you're going to be using the camera butsince you were considering P&S I will assume that you'renot going to turn this into a business. You can go the lenses I listed above and that should cover your basis. That's one of the many great things about SLRsare that you can upgrade lenses to better quality lensand not have to sell your whole outfit.

www.bhphotvideo.com has some of the best prices anywhere and EXCELENT customer service. If I was you I'd avoid the major chains such as Bad Buy and Wally World.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I forgot c r a c k e r was filtered.[:@]
Old 02-17-2007, 04:07 PM

TNHagies,

I bought a Canon Rebel XTi 400D body at a local camera shop. I also bought a lense from them, recommended by the sales person. It is a Promaster AF18-200XR EDO. So far I love the camera. The pictures are better than the Sony I had.Now I'll have to get larger hard drive, those pictures sure eat up space.

Thanks for the advice!!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you love it! I don't personally know anyone who's bought a SLR and regretted it. You can PM me if you have any questions. Of course now we expect to see some results of this new camera.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 PM

I have no problem with my Canon 30d in cold weather. I posted some pictures on the turkey forum that I took today at 20 degrees. The day before it was 10 degrees below zero, I was out for two hours and it worked fine, even with a battery that had already taken over 350 pictures. To see pictures... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2007271