Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Help me decide which video camera... >

Help me decide which video camera...

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Help me decide which video camera...

Old 01-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help me decide which video camera...

0.4 lux (60i/30f Mode, Manual Mode, 1/4 Shutter, F1.6, Gain 18 dB)

If I'm reading the info, right that would be .4 lux with s gain set at 18, and that would be some grainy video, and not suitable for Tv production, our producers really dont want anything over 8 db of gain....

BUT, AND I say BUT, still sounds like a very nice cam , Like the ouputs and the LCd that will flip to either side, 20x glass also......

I was looking at the new Sony HDR-FX7, it has great stuff but two big draw backs, one is no xlr inputs, just a 1/8 mic input, sure you can get dapters and still have a good spear mic and cover, but the other drawback is after it the auto iris adustment, when it reaches maximum exsposure it will automatically start adding gain, its not controlable...

Every camera will have its drawbacks, but you need to find a cam that will suit you individuale filming needs..

Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

I've been looking at Canon GL2 & XL1, & XL2. I can't decide if I can handle not having a display. I've saved up plenty of cash I need help!!
Hey, did you get a new camera yet? If so, which one did you decide on?

Just wondering, cause I need a new camera really bad. My old C-VHS just aint cutting it anymore. It's so noisy! The noise from the camera wheels actually can be heard on what has been recorded. It's terrible for videoing hunts!
I have a Sony vx-2100 and it is more quiet than a Canon gl2. Also, the Sony has more features you can adjust and actually film in lower light than Canons I have been around. And you can hardly hear it when turned on, unlike a Canon
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

dwd,
I would go with the sony pd170 if you are going to try and do anything with your your filmed hunts, the vx-2100 has great footage but the audio stinks on it so by time you get the attachments with the XLR ports and a new shotgun mike you might as well just bought the pd170 with built in XLR ports and a great shotgun mike..But if your hunts are just for you to enjoy the vx-2100 is a great camera many guys run them as second camera angle cameras. Walt
Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate all the info guys. I'm still deciding but I'm definitely looking at the Sony's a little harder. I've decided that Low light performance is more important than having 20x optical zoom since the majority of my hunting will be bowhunting. I truly appreciate all the help you guys have given and I'll post some pics as soon as I make a purchase.