Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

video camera

Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default video camera

What would be a good camera to use on a hunt to video it?
Would a bow mount for the camera be the best?
Is the any thing I can put over the lenses to stope glare/mirror efect?

I would like to tape my 2 week elk hunt. I get very close to many bulls each year and would like a little SHOW YOU. Many people think you just get lucky year after year.I would like to get a little vid. of what I pass on.
I am stocking elk.
I will only be walking 2 miles or less.
shiny cameras are out. {I would reather kill then tape]
Size matters a little.
weight dose not matter.
eazy on off very good.

TY Charles

Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 AM

Default RE: video camera

Although I don't elk hunt, I would suggest a small Sony digital/tape or straight digital/mini dvd depending on your budget. I have heard that the bow mounted camera is very hard to get good shots from because of the vibration at the shoot. they do pretty good before the shot and I guess would be okay for shooting teh pass-by animals. If you wanted to shoot your shoots I think it would be lacking. If you arnt hiking that far, you could use the mini Sony on a small lightweight tripod, one that is quick to set up. Most of the small camera (Sony and others) come with remotes to start and stop taping making it easier to use when game animals get close.

For whitetail stand hunting, I use my mini Sony on a camera arm hanging next to me but, I see whre that won't work for the hiking elk hunt.
Best of luck in making a choice. I think the filming would add a great deal to your hunt.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: video camera

Look it up on a GOOGLE search . You can also see reviews on various Brand / Model cameras . That should help you out