Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Last weekend of the season.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Last weekend of the season.

This is the last weekend of a great upland bird hunting season in Kansas my son has bagged 20 rosters and I have about half that many. Two to three inches of snow has fallen on the ground here around Wellington today, I hope this will clam the birds down a bit. The last two times we have been out we have seen a lot of birds but they have been hard to get close to. My son is coming home from college and is bring three friends for their first pheasant hunt of the season one of them his first pheasant hunt ever. They hunt quail and waterfowl back in eastern Kansas. (Does anyone know why pheasants do not survive in Southeast Kansas?)The pressure is on to show them a good time, I guess we will only be going to the good spots this weekend.

I will report back on our last Southcentral Kansas hunt of the season.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Last weekend of the season.

This is also the last weekend of the season for Nebraska. Haven't seen the birds like the forecast predicted this year.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:55 PM

we have 3 or 4 left to go for rabbits and squirrel, and phesants. we have seen a few rabbits, but have missed. the rest of the small game is down TERRIBLY LOW
Old 01-29-2005, 01:00 AM

Hey Crusader. I'm up here in Wichita and head down that way regularly to take my wife in for her "See the family" visit. I know there's some public hunting land around there (I'll have to look at my map) that I've been meaning to try. If you ever feel up to it, we could see what we could round up for whatever season is running at the time. Presently, I'm just out for rabbits and squirrels, though I'm REALLY lookin forward to turkey season this spring.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:46 PM

My son and his friends from college just left to go back to school after our last hunt of the season. We saw a lot of birds, mostly hens, we did end up shooting 6 rosters and should have had twice that many if we could have shot better. Weather was poor, it was to warm for the snow to stay and the ground and it is still a swamp from the ice storm two weeks a go.

But two of my son's friends saw and shot their first pheasant ever so the hunt was a success. My 4-month-old black lab found and retrieved his first pheasant toady, he also scared up a hen that was in deep grass by going in after it. I was a proud pop. For the season my son bagged 21+ rosters and I got just over 10, a great year.

Ks_Sniper the public land is over by oxford I have never hunted it but it looks good. The walk-in hunt is close to where I hunt, people from the city hit it hard.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Spike

Season's over.

My mood....

Dogs' moods.......

Wife's mood........