Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 IL ML season this weekend >

IL ML season this weekend

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

IL ML season this weekend

Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default IL ML season this weekend

Anyone here going out in IL this weekend? I will be in Mercer Co.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IL ML season this weekend

I will be, got a appointment with a certain buck I've been seeing in a certain county. Pictures Monday or sooner if I'm successful. If I don't see him I'll just enjoy the weekend outside. Got plenty of meat in the frezzer the way it is.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck guys! Wish I had a tag left here in Minnesota.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Typical Buck

greene co
Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cold, wind, wind, snow, and more wind.......brrrrrrr. It was a cold one yesterday. I backed my rear end into a wood shed over looking the river bottoms Friday and only seen one doe in the morning. Of course she was on the other side of the river. Took a break to warm up about 11:20 and went to town for lunch at McD's. I picked up a news paper and read all about our wonderfull Gov. Rodand his troubles (). Took a nap for an hour or so then headed back out. Nothing untill about 4pm I see more deer on the other side of the river. Then I notice them looking over on my side and to the East. There were 6-8 deer moving along the bottoms and were going to end up walking right in front of me. I picked out the biggest of the bunch and shot her right in the neck. She never took another step. But what I had was deer running all over the place. The ones on the other side of the river took off, tails in the air and the bunch that was on my side took off as well. Only there were more deer there than I had seen. White flags were flying everywhere.So I lowered my standard of hunting for the big buck and took a nice 160# plus corn fed deer. I was tired of freezing my butt off. Here's the doe.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your doe! She will taste good!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gonna be giving out deer sausage and crackers with cheese in a basket to my friends this year for Christmas. The bottom shelf is all summer sausage. I'm packed, this doesn't include the deer I took yesterday yet.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats to sjsfire....that's a nice looking doe.
I hunt Stephenson Co. in Northern Ill and I took this small buck yesterday morning around 8:40am. I was not able to hunt during the 1st ML season.....the landowner had tags to fill from the shotgun season, so I had to wait my turn.
This was my 1st day out with the MLand I was not going to be able to hunt the entireweekend. With Christmas around the corner, my wife and daughtermade plans for me, so I knew I didn't have a lot of time to huntand I was hoping to take a nice doe. It was a cold morning......I had2 degrees on the thermometer before I left the house. About an hour after daylight, I caught aglimpse of 3 deer running thru the pines 150+ yds. out and it made me feel better seeing some deer. About ahalf hour later thisbuck stepped outin a shooting lane in front ofthe ground blindthat I was sitting in. He was standing there feedingbetween some pine tress@ 100yds.justlong enough for me to get a good shot off. He had his head down the entire time, so I didn't know I was shooting at a buck. I followed the short blood trail and I could tell by the way the blood was splattered over the snow that I had a good lung hit. I found him piled under a pine tree about 25yds. from where I shot himand this is when I found out that I had shot a buck.
We have enough snow on the ground thatdragging him out was pretty easy, but getting my Jeep the rest of the way was another story in itself, but I made it.
I hunted the rest of Friday without seeing another deer. I still hope to make it out one more time, to fill my "doe only" tag.
As you can see from the picture, I was shooting a T/C Omega. My load was 110grs. of BH-209 and a 250gr. Barnes TMZ.
I'll post another picture of the entrance and exit wound inside the chest cavity.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

The entrance is on the right hand side and the 250gr Barnes exited behind the left shoulder. It was a complete pass thru.

Quick Reply: IL ML season this weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.