Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Last weekend of the season deer >

Last weekend of the season deer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Last weekend of the season deer

Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Last weekend of the season deer

Got this little guy Friday afternoon. Decided to hunt deep in the woods to a spot that my buddies and I haven’t hunted in about 7-8 years. We know there are a lot of deer there, however, it is a long drag out if you do get a deer. Didn’t feel like packing in my climber so I hunted on the ground. I found a good spot halfway up a hillside down from a field on the top and a creek on the bottom. I got settled in around 2:15. About 2:30 I start hearing noises which sound like deer, however, I don’t see anything. The sounds start off to my left then work up the hill but I still do not see anything. After about 15 minutes of this the woods go quiet for about 10 minutes. Then all of a sudden I hear some movement and catch a single doe behind me coming out of some thick brush about 30 yards up the hill. I slowly turn to my right and the doe is slowly walking off. I raise my smokepole and see the doe in my scope but it is too thick and she is about 80 yards away now. I look down for a second and a 2nd doe and this 4-point walk out from the same place the first doe did. The doe follows the same path as the first deer and once again it is too thick to shoot. To my surprise the buck stops at 60 yards and starts to feed. I dropped my can call that I picked up during all of this and the buck hears it and stares at me. I am still looking thru my scope and it is quite tight where he is standing. I think to myself that I can make the shot so I steady myself, click the safety off and let a 240gr XTP powered by 2 777 pellets fly out of my Black Diamond. After the smoke cleared I see the buck run off and I think to myself that I missed. I never did hear the deer crash so I question my shot in the thick cover. I quickly reload and check out the spot where he was standing. A big smile came to me as I see lots of bright red, bubbly blood where he was standing. I ended up trailing him for about 70-80 yards and he ended up at the bottom of the hill a few feet shy of the creek. I was happy with the massive blood trail the XTP left and even happier that I hit him good. I know he would have looked great in about 2 years, however, I am still proud of this last weekend of the season buck! This is the first season ever that I have taken deer with my bow, BP rifle, and 308 all in the same season. Then started the long drag out but I was sure happy to do so.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Last weekend of the season deer

That's a great buck.. and the XTP did a good job as well. Congratulations..
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats and thanks for the wonderful story!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the buck. That XTP did a great job.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Another pic.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Entrance

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Exit

Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

nice deer!!

Looks like the bullet just penciled through it.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

good shootin, congrats.

Quick Reply: Last weekend of the season deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.