Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Grouse

Old 11-29-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Grouse

Just last week I was in the U.P. for deer hunting. I was sitting on a ridge when I saw three grouse feeding on something. After a couple of hours I went down to see what they were eating, it was a big pile of corn some other hunter obviously put there for bait. Anyways my question is, is there any things I can plant on my land to attract grouse, and to make them more healthy and more likely to survive the winter? I only go up to our land a couple of times a year so it would have to be something that didnt require maintnance. Thank you for any input.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Grouse

The problem I can see with leaving bait such as corn for them is that it would set up an easy ambush point for predators so it could end up being detrimental. I would say the best thing for them is to just leave them be and only consider feeding if the winter gets harsh. Only other option maybe to start your own trap line to help 'em out.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:01 PM

We used to plant by hand two rows of sweet cane and two rows of milo and then never touch it. It makes both great cover and supplies a wonderful sweet and nutritious feed through the winter. It can be tough to clean up in the spring but those 4 rows provided feed and shelter but kept predators from being able to set up and ambush pheasants, quail and grouse where I lived. After the second year the cane reseeded it self so it was nice. You might try that as in your part of the country your growing season is just long enough and you get enough moisture that you wouldn't have to mess with it but to plant and clean it up.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:56 PM

Thank you for the help, I will have to try that.