Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Colorado Opener

Old 11-17-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Colorado Opener

Colorado pheasant opener is this weekend!!!!! Anybody else heading out or did everybody but me go to Kansas last weekend for their opener? It is supposed to snowing on Saturday with a high of 35 degrees and a low of 16 degrees. Sunday is supposed to be snowing off and on with a high of 31 degrees with wind gusts up to 35 mph. Colorado by far is not the best but, bird numbers are supposed to up, would be more but we lost a lot of birds with spring hail. There will 9 of us to start out with, not sure how many people will stick around if the weather gets as bad as forcasted. Good luck to all and dress warm.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Opener

I was in Kansas last weekend and planed to hunt around Joes this weekend. But my Father had a stroke and my plans are on hold for now. So Tyleetess you just have yourself a great time, leave a few for me.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-18-2004, 06:19 AM

I was supposed to hunt this weekend opener but my plans have also changed. Tyleetess good luck this weekend and leave a few for me and gselkhunter.

gselkhunter, sorry to hear about your dad. I wish him a speedy recovery. My dad had a stroke 2 years ago, so I know what you must be going thru. You and you dad will be in my prayers.

Good luck to everyone this weekend and be safe.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:53 AM

Headed up near Sterling tomorrow night...We've done a little recon and found that things were looking good. Saw more birds this year than last years scouting trips along pretty much the same path. The couple landowners we talked to also reported seeing a lot more birds than the last two years on their spreads, so things bode well.

Then, there's the weather...nothing like 20 and snowing to start the year!!

Good luck everyone...wear your orange in the blizzard!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:05 PM

The dog's and I will be out bright and early Saturday morning. I'm going to start on the river for quail and then maybe hit some fields for some roasters.

Terry
Old 11-19-2004, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Popere, Thank you very much. He is recovering as well as can be expected. It was major. But he is stable and coming out of the hospital next week. So maybe after Thanksgiving the girls[GSP'S] and I will take to the field. Every body have a great time the weather is going to be the way I like it cold & snowy.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-03-2004, 08:46 PM

How's everyones season going so far?
Old 12-05-2004, 04:41 PM

Went out this weekend. Haven't been out in Colorado since opener. Shot 4 birds, 3 Saturday and 1 Sunday. Saw tons of roosters, all on private ground though. The area I was in now has most of the corn cut. On the way home I saw a couple farms working on corn and saw a lot of fields with the equipment ready to go. It seemed like the birds were starting to bunch up due to the cold, so if you are lucky and hit the right field and the birds are there you wil have a good shoot. They also seem to be getting pretty spooky.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:24 PM

Man, what a weekend. We hunted on some private ground Saturday with 5 people. All corn fields with corners that had decent cover. We chased birds back and forth into and out of the corners all day. Birds were very spooky though, they had taken over 30 birds out opening weekend and 20 the following weekend. We ended up with 8 as always we should have had more but poor shots on a few birds prevented that. The property was walk in last year and a friend of mine asked for permission and the land owner was great. He would come out and check on us after he would hear a lot of shooting. We found out he liked Miller Light and before we left we made sure he didn't have to add it to his grocery list for a long time. All the guys I went out with left and I stayed the night to hunt the next day. The 2nd walk in field I walked that morning produced about 20 birds in 15 minutes. I had my limit and was home by 11:30am. Days like that are what keep you coming back weekend after weekend, year after year. It doesn't get much better than that. I will be back out next weekend, and hope those birds didn't go far.