Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

doves?

Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default doves?

im having a problem connecting with these little guys....i can hit a few pass shooting....but not as many as id like....i can bust clays that fly the same way all day....but hitting these doves is killing me......i try leading more and less....i think i need even more....im picky aobut shots and wait till they are in pretty close...i either clober them with a full load of shot or miss.....i can walk through a field and jump shot them like a pro.....barely any get away when im jump shooting them...i made a beautiful double today....busted one at like 40....and whacked his brother at like 45...only his brother flew away butt naked....all his feathers were in the sky.....he flew over a road so i couldnt follow up on him...would been a perfect double...but i can jump shoot them fine.....its them passing birds that kill me......any tips or anything?? i know if i have someone throw clays the way they are flying ill bust most of them....ive always been a clay buster....first time ever shooting skeet and i got a 19....next round when i knew what house to look at i got a 21.....i think im thinking about the doves to much....i watch them come in and wait and wait....and pull up follow them and fire...but i think im putting to much thought into the shots.....like today i had 2 come in out of nowhere and i busted one...the other was in the trees before i could get the double.....and another 2 came in circled and when they gave me a shot it was a quick one....dropped one of them too......that one was actually farther then most of my shots i been taking.....anyone have any tips or anything?? the field i hunt is made for jumpshooting lol.....im actually going to do more of it.....it helps my hunting...and then i bust up the giant flock and they are flying all over and i can pass shoot till they group up then jump shoot them till they are flying everywhere again.....but how the heck do i up my hits on passing shots?? its gota be my lead.....i cant figure it out! coming straight in they might as well jump in my game bag....i know you guys will say practice with clays.....but thats like a waste of money because i know when i get to the range ill smoke the clays.....im not bragging or anything....but when it comes to busting clays ive been a natural for some reason.....and shooting game quickly im the same way.....but when i have time to think about the shots i miss.....like passing doves....what do i do?? i wait till they are ontop of me pull up and fire......im kicking myself because i had some picture perfect easy shots.....just dont know what im doing wrong...im shooting 7.5s through a modified barrel......i was shooting 8s.....but bought 7.5s this time...trying to get a little more power and range.....i just need to connect better.....any tips?? im leadling like a foot foot and a half at 25-30yds usually......i dont know if thats too much or not enough......what do you guys think? i just see all the daylite between my bead and the bird and think its too much....is it not enough? or too much?? thanx alot guys....im stumped.....
Old 09-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: doves?

What kinda choke are you shooting?

I hadn't practiced up...and was shooting a full choke (modified would be the ideal choke), took in 40 shells, brought out 1, and had 4 doves to show for it.

That is pathetic shooting.

How far you lead them really depends on your choke, and the distance the dove is from you...I'd say to put the bead closer to them if anything else...
Old 09-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Does your shotgun have interchangable chokes? If so, you may try to open your choke some like to improved cylinder or even skeet. From what you discribed, it sounds like your gun is patterning too tight. If you are busting doves hard at 45yrds then your pattern is way too tight. At that range you should only be hitting the doves with a couple of pellets. I hope this helps
Old 09-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup a improved cylinder is the way to go! Make sure you are bring your gun to your face and not your face to your gun, this is a common mistake. Spend the extra few dollars on some good shells, the shur shock dove loads 1 1/8oz are great only 4.19 a box. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

that may be it...my patterns too tight and im leading too much.....because when i hit them i mess them up pretty good....and the ones i hit i dont have time to think about leading....im squeezing right on or barely infront of the bird....ill try that next time....im shooting a modified barrel..no choke its a choked barrel in an old winchester model 50 semi......i have a mossberg 500....but i dont think i own improved chokes....in the house we have 3 mossbergs and not one improved choke....i got 100 mods..an improved mod....i think its between full and mod.....and full and xtra fulls.....the birds are starting to stay farther out so the mod will come in handy.....maybe ill hit a piece of cardboard and see what my pattern looks like sometime soon.....but you guys got me thinking....maybe it is tight and im leading more then i need...ill try it next time...im shooting remington sport loads in 7.5.....cheap loads...but they have everything the better loads have....they even have the piston wad...not just a wadcup like the federal cheap loads i had.....they seem better then the federal cheap loads i bought.....until my shooting improves im not buying good shells to shoot into the sky.....thats kinda a waste....i mean im sure the pattern a bit better....but i need to get my hitting the birds down a little better.....ill try less lead next time....makes alot of sense being i got birds at 25-30yds....and they arent flying overly fast...just cruising along....thanx guys.....ill let you know what happens friday and saturday......hope my birds are still there.....they will be unless a new field gets cut.....but i know the farmer that owns 90% of the corn in the township.....so i should be set....if the birds arent there ill talk to him....he knows where to send me...
Old 09-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

M-06,
Here's some advicce, a bit of which is mirrored in the latest Am. Hunter magazine.
Try to notice what they do when you pull the trigger. Sometimes they will dive a bit when they see you mount the gun. Try to lead them a little low and they may dive into the pattern. Other times doves that have been hunted will flare their wings and slow down right as you pull the trigger causing you to shoot in front, a situation that a fast follow-up shot can "solve".
A big reason for many missed doves is mis-judged distance. Pattern your gun and see what it looks like at 30/35/40 yds. Also maybe try a shell with a faster load, and different pellet sizes. You may be hitting them with a few pellets, but not enough to knock'em down right away. If you're knocking a few feathers off them, you're hitting them. Just put a few more pellets in the head/neck region and you'll bring more doves. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:59 PM

Mauser 06
I agree with Turkey Fan in that I'm willing to bet that your picking up your head to admire your work. I have the same problem with transitioning from the range to the field. I always try to refer back to these three things when I start missing.

See the Target
Keep your head down
Move the gun
Old 09-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

i just picked up the gun i been shooting and noticed when i mount my head is high......but putting it down on the stock feels just as good and shouldnt take much to get used to......cant wait for friday......ill get out of school at 1130...cut grass for an hour and a half....change and lounge for a little...and head out from 2-3 till i got my limit or its dark.......cant wait.....lots of good tips....i should beable to bring it together soon........thanx guys.....
Old 09-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Instead of guessing how far to lead, try this: Begin by aiming behind the dove. As the dove is flying by, your swing should be fast enough to catch and pass the dove. Shoot when the bead hits the bird, continuing with your follow through. The time delay between when you see the bead hit the bird and actually pull the trigger will account for the correct lead. Takes the guesswork out.