Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Colorado pheasant opener

Old 11-20-2003, 01:10 PM

Default RE: Colorado pheasant opener

Bobby,

Well I don' t know for sure how it is around Springfied and Walsh. I was down at a customers property yesterday and he said that all he has seen were a couple of hens. They got a little more moisture down that way over the summer so I thought the habitat would be good, but doesn' t seem to be the case. I am planning on hitting up some of the walk-in stuff north of Holly over the weekend. I know that there are birds down there just don' t know if we will be able to get them up. Sounds like the weather could be favorable.

Where abouts did you hunt down by Holly?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:14 PM

Jorgy,

Well it sounds like the cover is pretty good up that way. I walked through some weeds over the weekend that were at 12 ft tall. I am 6' 5" and they were at least twice my height. Some of the stuff we walked was just way to thick to get any birds out of. Even though I know that there were some there.

Can' t help you with the picture deal. I am just plain ignorant when it comes to that stuff.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:33 PM

Schemy,

I' m planning a trip to the Springfield, Walsh area early next week so we' ll have to fill each other in on how we do. As far as Holly is conserned we were also hunting north of town. We hit some of the walk-in access areas north of town near the boarder were its very rural and they look great. And after walking a couple of miles of it I did notice a lot of roosts or sign but we didn' t get a bird up out of it because its to big. You would either have to have a couple of dogs or an army to get anything out of there, so there are some birds around those very heavily weeded areas, but from what the landowners have told me there are considerably less birds around the immediate faming areas.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:14 AM

Bobby,

Sounds good. Just send me an email about it and I will try to let you know some of the better places around Lamar. I don' t know about around Springfield, I just haven' t hunted that much down there.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:49 PM

Schemy, I just sent you an e-mail, let me know if you get it.