Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

great Iowa pheasant opener

Old 10-31-2004, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default great Iowa pheasant opener

Nope, I didn't fire a shot and didn't see many birds. The weather was very windy and rainy. I didn't see many hunters in the fields and there is still way too much standing corn for the birds to hide in. So how can I say it was a great opener? Because I know the roosters are there. I hear them crowing early in the morning when I'm on deer stand. In different areas of the state. So instead of bagging lots of pheasants on opening weekend, we will have good hunting later in the season when most "pheasant hunters" are home watching the Hawkeyes kick butt. Jim
Old 11-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: great Iowa pheasant opener

Same here, I hunted down by ames and there was a few bird. But i still think its better in north east iowa
Old 11-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Spike

Hunted the opener in Linn Co. That wind was brutal! I was able to get one though. Saw a few birds, 6 or so. It was great just to be out there. Sunday morning was better, weather wise, but only kicked up one rooster.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:21 PM

I hunted in northeast Iowa on opening day and managed to see about 12 roosters and 7 hens. The wind made it a little tougher, but I got my limit of 3 birds. In a few weeks the hunting should be even better once most of the corn gets harvested.