Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Slow Pheasant opener in southeast SD >

Slow Pheasant opener in southeast SD

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Slow Pheasant opener in southeast SD

Old 11-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Slow Pheasant opener in southeast SD

I was a little disappointed in the lack of Roosters just North of Mitchell this year. The hunt was still outstanding for anyone from Wisconsin however. I never saw so many hens in my life. The fields we pushed for 5 days were loaded with birds, but 70% + were hens. Also we shot a lot more older roosters than normal. They must have had a poor hatch this spring in our area.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 11-05-2004, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Slow Pheasant opener in southeast SD

I just returned from hunting north of mitchell around the artesian area. There was a lot of standing corn around that held hundreds of birds. We also kicked up a lot of hens. About an hour before dark you could sit and watch the birds fly into the CRP out of the corn by the hundreds. From talking to the people out there, they are 20% of there usual corn harvest at this time of year, that leaves 80% more corn than they usaul have to hide in this time of year. They are having a hard time getting the moisture out of the corn and with the cost of propane they can't afford to dry it with that method. When they cut the corn out it will be almost like another opening day out there. Best hunting was in the evening when the birds started to fly back into the cover. I was somewhat dissapointed also, but I understand that you can't do anything about mother nature and we will have to wait until the corn is out to go back or if some else is planning a trip out there I would make sure they have harvested all the corn otherwise you may have a rough time. We averaged about 2 birds a person. Like previously stated most of the roosters we shot were last years birds. Good luck to all.