Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

PA Grouse

Old 10-14-2003, 02:17 PM

Default PA Grouse

Hi
Any one hunta grouse in PA? can you give me an idea about the best ways and places in the wood to find them.
any feedback is apreciated
Toons
SAFTY IS # 1
Old 12-26-2003, 07:17 PM

Default RE: PA Grouse

Just got onto the system today, so you may already have some info on` old ruff.`
I`ve hunted them for about 20 years so I may have a little insight on them.

Habitat: They are definately creatures of a regenerating forest. I`ve found them few and far between in the old grown woods of Northern Pa., but even there there are "hot spots" where you can flush them.

Look for cover where they can escape predators. Wild grape tangles, roosting in older pine patches, blowdowns, almost inpenetrable laurel patches, thick wild crabapples-any place where it is rough for man to go-that`s pretty much where they are !! After a while you can tell if a habitat is "grousey". Where you find one bird, you`ll usually find a few, especially if they are younger birds-those born that spring. Also check edges-where one condition of vegetation meets another. Ex. Where woodlands meet clearcuts, along openings on logging roads, etc.

Hunting conditions: I flush more on "nice" days versus rainy weather. They seems to hold tighter in inclement weather. (Who wants to get out of bed on a rainy day ?) It may be a cold day with snow on the ground, but if it`s bright out, I seem to have better luck. Keep eye on barometer. Also tracks in the snow betray their whereabouts.

Firearms: Think short barrel and light. My 5lb. Franchi 20 gauge seems ideal.
Practice skeet shooting. When in the field, focus on grouse hunting, not problems at the job.

Dogs: Probably most importaint-a GOOD pointing dog increases your chances greatly. Some say "No pointing dog, not worth going". So you may want to go with someone who has such a dog. Ask a breeder if he`ll take you out for a morning of hunting or ask around for a good club. My Brittany, while far from perfect, always seemed to provide lots of action.

Hope my collection of experiences help.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:51 PM

Toons,

Went home for the Holiday but only hunted one day, SGL 95? Good deer sign but no birds. Listen, I got in touch with a forester in the Blue Hole Mt. region and Mt. Davis. Cory sent me maps of clearcuts to hunt these birds in the Laurel Ridge area of Somerset County. Here is his email address [email protected]. He had the maps available in two days, also remember prime habitat for grouse is between 5-8 years in terms of clearcut regeneration.

See you,

Sean
Old 01-12-2004, 05:55 PM

I get our a lot and hunt grouse and in 2003 so far I have gotten prolly 10 grouse so far. I go in young pine patches where they might be roosting and i go in thicker areas.

Good Luck