Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
best all around choke-improved-modified-full >

best all around choke-improved-modified-full

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

best all around choke-improved-modified-full

Old 01-30-2002, 11:57 PM

Default best all around choke-improved-modified-full

I just bought a remington 870 that has a 23 inch barrel and comes with an extra full turkey choke. I would like to buy one more choke to cover everything else that I might use the gun for which would include rabbits,pheasants, and some trap just for fun and practice.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:01 PM

Default RE: best all around choke-improved-modified-full

Why buy just one more choke? Why limit yourself to that option...they aren't that expensive. The advantage to having a screw in choke system is that you CAN change your choke to suit the situation. If I had to have one gun, with a FIXED choke, I would probably pick modified and use shells to tighten or open the choke as necessary....buffered copper or nickle plated loads to tighten it, and cube shot or spreader loads to open it. But just because a gun is marked "modified", or "full", or anything else, doesn't necessarily mean that is the pattern it throws...you need to pattern your loads to make sure what it is throwing. Good luck and good hunting.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:37 PM
pup

i just bought the same gun a few month back and i also duck and phesant and quail hunt i bought a modified choke and thats worked just great for me
Old 02-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Spike

Most people do much better if they use more open chokes for most shooting. Choke tubes are not that expensive and having mulitple chokes available is the whole reason for screw in chokes. If you can only afford one right now I would go with an improved cylinder. This is the one I use if I'm not sure what kind of shooting I will be encountering. It is also the one I put in when on a sporting clays course to minimize having to change chokes for different targets. I think it is the best all round choke.