Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

[Deleted]

Old 01-30-2002, 12:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2002, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is trapping good for bird nesting?

id say yea but theres no way one man can get rid of all the predators in a area...or a decint bit of em...so its almost worthless....and even if you get a bunch of guys to help...they will always come back... im gessin it wont do any good...but im not a wildlife biologist...maybe i will become one...im lookin into it...
mauser06
Old 01-30-2002, 10:22 PM

It does help nesting success greatly, for waterfowl and upland birds. Delta Waterfowl did a study on nesting success and how predators affect it. I can't remember the exact percentages but it was stunning! Somewhere in the ballpark of a 70-80% increase.
You're right that one man can't get rid of all the predators but trapping can reduce them enough to see dramatic increases in nested hens and number of chicks. I began trapping my nest areas this year after seeing how much success a friend had on his private lake. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
If you're a bird hunter you should either learn to trap or have your property trapped by a responsible trapper. It pays off in one season.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Mauser,I disagree totally. This year alone I just trapped a bunch of skunks,opposums,and even a fox and got a bobcat and already I have seen a bunch of pheasants and rabbit population has greatly increased. Just tonight we saw 2 hens and last night I heard a bunch of roosters. This is just on our little 20 acre CRP. And ya know something, ya can control them, and it is worth trying. Before this year the skunks and bobcats kept game birds 100% off of our land,0 birds in 20 arces of CRP, this year,tracks all over of birds after I took a bite out there population. The way I look at it every time I catch a skunk in one of my Conibears or get a bobcat oppurtunity. Those animals will live for about 3-5 and think of all the birds they have to kill to survive, that is one less predator I have to worry about and could save up to 30 birds too. Just my 2 cents.

Without passion.....Why bother?
Old 02-08-2002, 06:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]