Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Ruffed Grouse Tactics?

Old 08-23-2003, 05:43 PM

Default Ruffed Grouse Tactics?

Hey all,

I live in North Idaho and have been told that there are a large population of ruffed grouse in the area. The problem is I have never hunted them so I am some what of a novice on this subject. I live in Moscow and there is an abundance of forrest cover in the area. What should I look for or be aware of when I am looking to have a successful grouse hunt?

mcbinsv
Old 08-23-2003, 10:54 PM

Default RE: Ruffed Grouse Tactics?

mcbinsv, First I would like to know if you' re hunting with a dog, and if so , is it a pointer flusher or retriever? My experience is with pointing dogs. Let me know and maybe we can get you lined out.

Michael
Old 08-25-2003, 09:36 AM

I haven' t hunted Ruffed Grouse out west since I was kid but I do a fair share here in the NorthEast. Some of the things I look for in good grouse country are...

think undergrowth .. look for clear cut areas that are a few years old
water .. all my best spots have some water source even if it is just a wet spot or 2
south facing slopes in the cold weather
find their food ... grape vines, berry patches .. whatever they eat for your area
off the beaten path

bring a dog if possible .. so much more fun .. if you don' t have 1, walking old skidder trails stopping often .. they usually bolt when you' re stopped. Good luck hitting a grouse on a blind flush .. they are tough enough when you' re expecting it behind a dog!
Old 08-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

After the bird explodes from the underbrush if you can count to 2 you might as well sit down and let your heart slow down because he' s gone.

Dan O.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:32 PM

I hunt grouse in northern Maine, which is a different type of hunting situation than most. In the early mornings, especially right after a frost, I like to drive slowly along old logging roads. If the sun comes out, you will find birds warming themselves in the road or along the banks of the roads where the sun hits. Older roads that haven' t been graded or improved for a few years are the best.

In the middle of the day I like to get out and hike more inaccessible roads and trails. A perfect spot will have lots of alders and spruce thickets, and be along a source of water such as a small stream. Clover growing on the road and along the edges makes an ideal area.

Just before dusk the grouse will start coming out to the gravel roads to fill their crops before roosting. I drive the same roads I hunted in the morning, making my way back out. It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for birds up in the trees at this time.

Some people that have never hunted grouse in northern Maine before are in disbelief at how tame the birds are. Some consider shooting a bird on the ground to be unsportsmanlike, so they throw rocks at them to get them to fly. Funny thing is, if you hunt the southern part of the state it is hard to get within 1/4 mile of a bird withouit flushing it. Hunting downstate is usually best around overgrown farm fields or old apple orchards.A well-trained bird dog is a great asset for that type of hunting. Here in the north woods, I can bag my 4 birds in an hour or two on a good day. A bird dog isn' t needed, but it' s fun to have one along as a companion just the same. Also, if you' re into wing shooting a dog trained to flush them would maybe be better than throwing rocks!