Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ruffed Grouse

Old 09-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Ruffed Grouse

A friend and I would like to hunt grouse in Michigan. Any advice on the outlook in that state and decent places to hunt would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Default RE: Ruffed Grouse

Most anyplace north of US-10 in Michigan where you can find aspen/poplar/tag alder growths you'll find ruffed grouse. If you find one of these areas that also has any type of berry bushes mixed in, that's a real bonus.
Most of the U.P. is very good for grouse hunting.
There are hundreds-of-thousands of acres of public lands in northern Michigan that anyone can hunt. Even more in the U.P.
For years the state has been clear-cutting select areas of mature harwoods in order for new growth aspens to grow in. Making for good grouse habitat.
If you contact the Michigan DNR you may be able to obtain locations of clear-cutting projects.
For example: within a 30 minute driving radius of my home there is more grouse/woodcock cover than I could hunt the rest of my life.
The outlook on grouse this year is better than it has been for the past several. In three mornings of hunting this season we(my Lab & me) have already flushed 20 grouse & 6 woodcock.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Ruffed Grouse

i better plan a trip to my cousins house to hunt he already has all the plot maps