Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

retrieving problem

Old 11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default retrieving problem

hey all, i have a2 year old lab that hunts and flushes reasonably well. he has done well in the field ever since we started taking him out. this year is a little different though. he is marking the pheasants really well where they go down ect., but when he retrieves he likes to chew on the birds a bit. he will bring it back, but he pulls at the feathers a little. he still has a soft mouth, which is good, but likes to pull at the wings ect. is there any quick cure for this, or is it something that i shouldn't even worry about?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: retrieving problem

I would watch it closely IMO and do nothing as you are in hutning season.

Then when it is all over take the time and teach Force Fetch. Many books and articles written or take the dog to a pro.

here is a dog who would not pick up birds at all - taken through FF

She is all fixed now - retireves anything, shoes, bottles, grouse, woodcock, geese, ducks, chukar,quail, - anything i say fetch for. She comes immediatley back to me ears up and tail wagging and is happy to do her task.
She gets a load of praise and gets petted before I put my hand under her mouth and say "Leave it" - to which she drops the bird or object.

JW