Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Help with retrieving

Old 03-15-2003, 06:31 PM

Default Help with retrieving

Can anyone give advice on the best retrieval method (slow,fast,etc..) to catch either walleye or northern pike using spoons, cranks, spinners, or jigs. The only way ive ever fished is hook and worm in the Mighty Missouri River, so im in deperate need of any advice. thanks all
Old 03-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help with retrieving

Well it depends on fish location, lure and mood of the fish. Walleyes I tend fish with slow steady retrieves for areas that I want the bait to stay above the weed line, running cranks or if suspended fish location. By far my most productive way to catch eyes is bottom walking or popping a jig. I fish a lot of sunken humps and rock points were the fish will tend to hang on the deep side. For this I cast onto the hump and find the bottom...continue to pop until I reach the shelf and then maintain contact with the bottom and pop it up about 12-24" . Only retrieving the slack line from the pop. They tend to pick it up on the fall.

Pike is all dependant on location and mood. Most times a steady retrieve will spark intresest but may not always convert to a strike. I always vary the retrieve when searching a new spot or lake. Then based on reactions to retrieve,lure choice and presentation...go from their. My favorite lures for pike are mepps in liner spinners, jig with plastic power grubs, williams wabbler or lil cleo spoons (silver or 5 o diamonds) or top water baits (such as zarra spooks, buzzbaits, poppers and choppers).

Also both fish in can be had jigging, drift or slip bobber fishing with live or dead bait.