Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Retrieving to Hand.

Old 02-05-2002, 07:02 PM

Default Retrieving to Hand.

Hi everyone,
I'm 17 and just got a golden retriever pup, my first puppy. she's about 13 weeks old now. I've been working on training her using the book and video of Richard A Wolters Game Dog, as well as his book Water dog. She's coming along nicely, and can now sit, stay, come and fetch, however, I came to realize that I made a few mistakes when teaching her how to fetch, and wondered how I can correct them. My problem is this: when I taught her to fetch, it was pretty much in one area, a big room in our house, so she will only bring it back in that one spot. If I throw it elsewhere, outside for example, she will either just sit and chew on the bumper like it's a toy, or walk past me and sit and chew on it. When I sit in that one spot, most of the time she will pick it up, and run to me, only she will run right past me if I dont catch her (she's only about 1 1/2 ft away to my side) and not bring it to my hand. I figured that these weren't big problems at the time, and was glad to see her at least interested in retrieving, but now want her to deliver it to my hand, from anywhere. Should I be grabbing the bumper from her mouth when she runs by? I do this and praise her after it, but she hasn't caught on yet, especially if it's not in that one specific room. Also, any help on getting her to drop it is appreciative. She's good sometimes, but tends to be protective of the bumper, and will growl and try to play tug of war until I pry her jaws apart often. I figure these are problems everyone has, so I'd like some input as to how to correct them. Thanks alot, I really appreciate it.
-Larr
Old 02-06-2002, 12:20 AM

Default RE: Retrieving to Hand.

I have a 14 week old lab who retrieves enthusiastically but does not deliver to hand yet. I have started doing all my retrieving work with him on a checkcord, that way he has to come back to me. When he gets to the bumper just gently reel in the slack on the cord and then bring him into to you. Eventually with enough repetition he will get the idea. At this age they will not be retrieving like the dogs in the Game Dog video(I have that video too). I think they are using much older dogs then they claim to be, my pup is 14 weeks old and is not anywhere near the size of the dog "Misty" they use who they are claiming to be 15 weeks. That dog looks to be at least 6 months. At this age you should only be doing about 3-5 retrieves per day and set them up so that the dog will always be successful. So if you want to start working on hand delivery don't give the pup the chance to not deliver to hand, either use the checkcord or do your retrieves in a hallway where the pup has no choice but to return to you. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:05 PM

Amitydeerslayer hit the nail on the head with this one. Larry I just replyed to your other post. This info helps some. If ou aren't doing it yet don't let your pup have free access to the bumper. Make it a special toy that is only used for training. Use your check cord and keep the sessions short. Always end on a successful retrieve.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:32 PM

I see everyone here force traines their dogs. I read in 'Water Dog' that this should be used only as a last resort. What are the advantages/disadvantes of this method? The dog is about 13 weeks now, and retrieves enthusiastically, just not to hand, she'll sprint after it though and get excited as soon as she see's it however, so is it nessicary to force train her yet?

I'm still working on getting the commands down pat. I'm trying to get the 'come' command perfect, because I'm scared she'll run off in the woods, and while it's not a problem yet, I dont think I could/would want to chase her through a bunch of prickers/tight spots, so I'm also wondering how she would do on live birds. See my other topic I guess, I kinda strayed on this one
Thanks again,
-Larry
Old 02-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the age your puppy is, the behavior that you describe is 100% as it would be expected to be. Your dog is a B-A-B-Y. At this stage of life, just be happy that she chases and picks the bumper up -- and at least brings it part way to you some of the time. Use the "hallway method" and the check cord method as well, but DO NOT require perfect compliance. Enforced obedience shuldn't even begin till the dog is 5-6 months old. And Force Fetch cannot be done until teh dog has all it's adult teeth in (minimum 6 months). At your pup's age, it should all be fun and games.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:44 AM

>>The dog is about 13 weeks now, and retrieves enthusiastically<<>> so is it nessicary to force train her yet?<<

Force trainging should not be even attempted until the dog has all its adult teeth in.
At 13 weeks your dog is not even a dog yet, lol, he is just a puppy, somewhat equivalent to a 2 yr old human. You can teach 2 yr old babies a lot but don't expect much until their older!

>>I'm still working on getting the commands down pat. I'm trying to get the 'come' command perfect, because I'm scared she'll run off in the woods,<<

Puppy/dog training is mostly about repetition. Don't expect perfectiion at this young an age. Just keep repeating the obedience drills daily for about 10-15 minutes max a day. Most important though have fun with him, they'll never be this age again. You have his whole life to enforce obedience, let the pup be a pup for a while.

Once he is older if you train right you won't have to worry about a dog running off in the woods. My first dog was a golden retriever we just trained him with basic obedience, sit, stay, heel and come. One day while we were deer hunting we drove up next to a doe and fawn about 30 yards from our jeep. Rusty, who was 9 months at the time, jumped out of the jeep and took off after the fawn. It happened so quickly we didn't even see him until he had almost caught the fawn, we yelled "Rusty come!" He stopped dead in his tracks and came running back to the jeep. Obedience probably saved his life because I think the doe would have got him if he hadn't turned around.

Your pup will get there too, but give him time to just be a pup. Work with him 10-15 minutes a day maximum and spend the rest of the day watching him enertain himself! (I'm saying this as my 14 week old lab is squeaking his stuffed possum as he runs under my computer desk!)