Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

need help with shot

Old 11-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Default need help with shot

hi,
i have a single shot 20 guage, and i use 8 shot. i mostly hunt rabbits, which i have no problem put'in them down. but next week me and a couple buddys are going on a hunt, theres rabbits,grouse,squirrels, and pheasants. i haven't really hunted pheasants before ( i shot 2 ever ) do you think my shot should be fine for pheasant and grouse?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need help with shot

I shoot 6 or 4 shot for pheasants. But I have killed a lot of pheasants with 8 shot. There are a lot of variables like if you are going to be shooting over dogs that are very close hunting (very close shots) or if you are going to be blocking you might have longer shots. As for grouse all I ever shoot at them is 8 shot heavy trap loads. They go down a lot easier than pheasants. I hope I was a little help, and good luck

Old 11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Spike

Unfortunately #8's are too light. If you plan on hunting pheasant & grouse, Irecommend youstep upyour shot size to 7 1/2 or even #6's. Most often, you will want to shoot the densest pattern (smallest pellets) that is capable of delivering sufficient energy for clean kills. Lead shot hits harder, penetrates deeper, and kills better than steel shot.

One last note: it is a very good idea to pattern your shotgun with whatever load you have selected before you go hunting. Shooting a few test patterns can prevent a lot of grief. Few shotguns shoot all shot sizes equally well. Shot placement is key to putting game on the table.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

I usually use 6 shot in the 20 gauge, but this year we are using #4 steel shot.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Killing pheasants isn't hard if you place the shot in the right place. With that being said the part that gets people is the distance that they try to kill pheasants at. I never shoot 8s at game. And even though I have killed pheasants with 7.5s I do not consider the size to be enough for distance over 25yds. I shoot 6s and 5s out of my 28ga and will shoot up to 4s out of my 20ga if the need occurs.
The bottom line is a pheasant has thick feathers that take some energy to get through. And they provide many bad angles to shoot at. So you either waitfor a better shot angle or beef up your load. I do both plus add in a pointing dog to up my odds. I have personally seen pheasant hit hard[or appeared to be] and bounce off a dirt road and not be there dead when we got there, cause they weren't hit hard enough.
Gselkhunter