Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

New Bird Hunter Here

Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Default New Bird Hunter Here

Well guy's I decided get me a bird dog and start bird hunting. I used to run coon dogs a bit with my dad and loved it. Since I'm no longer at home and enjoy seeing dogs trained to work I decided to get a bird dog. I don't think there is anything prettier than a bird dog working (except my wife when she's in the mood). I bought an El Hew Pointer that is liver and white colored. He is nine weeks old and already showing signs of being an excellent dog. I have started with long walks in the evening, teaching him to set, come to me and no. So far he has learned all of these commands; he isn't perfect yet but with a little more age think he's going to be amazing. He is also getting house broke but he isn't as good at that as he is on his other duties. I'll post a few pics later.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Default RE: New Bird Hunter Here

Congrats on the pup and to upland hunting. I am no expert on either but I got my first pointer last year and all I can say is do the yard work, get a book and begin that everyday. Heel, whoa, come, etc. It will make a difference once you hit the grouse woods.

Good luck
Old 02-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Inactive

Spring: Welcome to the fascinating and sometimes frustrating world of bird hunting. Your starting off with a great choice of dogs and i am sure you will love it both in the home and the field. As MI said, get a good reference book and start training everyday. I'll bet both you and the pup will learn lots and become real hunting partners!

Good luck !!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

Here are a few suggestions to get started. For pointing dogs, you may want to get Puppy Development DVD 1&2 by Huntsmith. Google huntsmith and you'll get the website. If you're willing to read a book (I know people are gung-ho about wanting to get their dog out but alittle patience will go a long, long way.) get Delmar Smith/Bill Tarrant's book and read it before formal training then go back to it during training. Use it as a reference.

Next, read up on gun introduction along with bird introduction. You don't want a gunshy dog.

If you are thinking of e-collar training, then make sure you condition the dog first.

Also, some people don't like training a pointing dog to sit. It's when running FT, the dog can't misinterpet an instruction and sit while on point or it gets disqualified. When a dog is on point, it is in a daze, totally focused on the bird. If you yell a command, the dog will do what comes first into its mind, like sitting.

Good luck on your new dog.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 AM

Thank you guy's for taking the time to give me some pointers. I will be looking into getting some instructional material. Hopefully I'll be posting some dog and bird picks in the next couple years.