Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hunter shoots your bird..What would you do? >

Hunter shoots your bird..What would you do?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunter shoots your bird..What would you do?

Old 01-17-2002, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default Hunter shoots your bird..What would you do?

A couple of seasons ago, my buddy and I worked a tom all day. We finally ended up back by the roost area. We got him to talk to us and then finally come in to our calls and decoys. The tom tried to be sneaky and comes around from our left. I had to wait for a shot until he was about 20 yrds to my left. I could see his tail fan thru the brush. When all of a sudden...BOOM!!! The tom goes down. What the @&*%$*^%!!! Another hunter came in behind us while we were calling and shot the turkey out from underneath me.
Now he claimed that he didn't know we were there, but he did said he had watched our decoys for about ten minutes. He thought we were 2 real hens calling to the tom so they could all go roost together.
Well after some heated words and some advice to the other guy not to sneak up on calling turkeys, because it would probably be another hunter, we left. On the way out my buddy was so pissed off that he wanted to go back and do something about it. After thinking about it for a while I too thought I should have done something.

What should I have done??? Any Opinions?

Edited by - Blue Moose CO on 01/17/2002 17:09:42
Old 01-17-2002, 04:54 PM

Default RE: Hunter shoots your bird..What would you do?

It ain't worth dieing over! Public ground can cause situations like that, but I would generally just walk away. You don't know who you are dealing with.

Ryan Tucker

Old 01-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Same here, I wouldn't want to, but I'd leave it alone.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:35 PM

No turkey is worth a confrontation between two armed parties! Was the other hunter telling the truth or just an idiot? You'll never know. You did the right thing in letting it go.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:42 PM

just walk away in good health. there will be other days to hunt.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

just walk is best but if you were on private ground you could talk to the land owner to see if this fool had permission if public ground nothing you can do in lthe eyes of the law he did nothing wrong real stupid but not wrong
Old 01-17-2002, 07:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

LIKE POSTED BEFORE IT ISN'T WORHT GETTING YOU OR YOUR BUDDY KILLED OVER IT, YEAH IT SUCKS THAT YOUR HARD WORK PAID OFF FOR SOMEONE ELSE, THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY GRAMPA A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO BUT IT WAS WITH A SPIKE ELK.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Yep theres something else you can do. Walk right on out of there get you a paper and start looking in the classifieds for land for lease.Thats public land hunting my friend.I certainly wouldnt ever get into a physical confrontation in the woods with an armed man.Someones going to get shot.

I learned a long time ago to buddy hunt on private land and we always leave one of us watching the backside if you know what I mean. Sometimes you get lucky and nail a tom sneaking in from behind but you can hunt a little easier knowing your watching 360 degrees for sneaking hunters.After we had that guy slip in and kill the tom outa the roost on us a few years back we always hunt in at least groups of two and always try to cut off the obvious entry routes for other hunters. Its safer and we havent had anyone cut off a bird on us since.

Ive got plenty of private land to hunt but our wmas have some super turkey hunting, its nice to give our birds a rest and hunt the public land two days a week.However if there was a preponderance of stupid folks out there hunting I believe Id quit .
Old 01-17-2002, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

..Grin-and-bare-it....

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...

Quick Reply: Hunter shoots your bird..What would you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.