Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

which breed of dog?

Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 PM

Default RE: which breed of dog?

I've had German Shorthair Pointers, Viszla's and Weimaraner's. The GSP and Viszla were two of the best breeds I've ever had. They both love to please but watch out how you train them, I've seem a friends Viszla shut down on him because he was being harsh with it (serves him right) they like positive rewards for a job well done and they will do what ever it takes to make you happy. There is a good write up in Gun Dog about the Viszla and what else needs to be said about the GSP.

Now for the Weimaraner, if you like to train more than you like to hunt its for you, they are great dogs but I've found the ones that I've had to forget things a lot.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:53 PM

If your going to feed it, might as well be pretty ,so buy a English setter.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 PM

I have an English Setter and he sure is purty. He is a loving friend and a great hunter. He hunts pheasants with me and points beautifully. If you get one, make sure you train it to stay close. Mine's way too aggressive. They've got tons of energy and can hunt all day in the heat or in freezing temps. Mine is inclined to love me the best and is a one man dog. Half of my hunting pleasure is watching him hunt. If you want a gentle but aggressive, beautiful pointer, you must look into that breed. It's my favorite and always will be. Mine is very gentle towards everything, even my little 2 year old niece.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

A Pointer.
My reasoning and why I fell in love and now breed them. Setters are just as nice but I no longer like the long hair mess in the house and after a days hunt. Labs were first love but long hair and don't cover the ground like a pointer and large. GSP are nice but is a big dog in the house too.

I have 3 pointers and at 45 lbs is a nice in between size. The Elhew line is all I know and was bred as a family mans foot hunting dog with a nose & desire second to none. You can tell how much they want to make you happy. My dogs handle with ease and for me or ANYBODY. I have let many men with dogs shoot birds over my Points because my limit has long been filled and their dogs just ain' cutting it. Of course these are on Points that come on my long walk back to the truck. I have had guys in the field shake my hand and thank me for the magnificent show put on by my dogs working, finding, pinning, pointing and backing and waiting for me to hoof the hundred yards to the point. Have (2) 3 mo old males in Classifieds. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RustyD02359

A Pointer.
My reasoning and why I fell in love and now breed them. Setters are just as nice but I no longer like the long hair mess in the house and after a days hunt. Labs were first love but long hair and don't cover the ground like a pointer and large. GSP are nice but is a big dog in the house too.

I have 3 pointers and at 45 lbs is a nice in between size. The Elhew line is all I know and was bred as a family mans foot hunting dog with a nose & desire second to none. You can tell how much they want to make you happy. My dogs handle with ease and for me or ANYBODY. I have let many men with dogs shoot birds over my Points because my limit has long been filled and their dogs just ain' cutting it. Of course these are on Points that come on my long walk back to the truck. I have had guys in the field shake my hand and thank me for the magnificent show put on by my dogs working, finding, pinning, pointing and backing and waiting for me to hoof the hundred yards to the point. Have (2) 3 mo old males in Classifieds. Good luck in your search.
birds we are hunting now in WILD,wild pheasants and my hardest,is GROUSE here in pa..AFTER leaves come off,the real hunters and dogs shine..

before that, any dog or hunter can be a grouse hunter..

what i have seen over 50 years hunting grouse,they are more pressured today than ever before..

no GROUSE is going to hold with dog pointing 100 yards from you,the grouse will FLUSH before you get there..

the BEST dog is dog that hunts CLOSE, 30 YARDS IN FRONT OF YOU MAX..if not, you are going to see a football flying away into the wild blue yonder..

dogs that hunt way out covering territory are nice for FINDING grouse but ,your chances of getting there IN TIME before they flush, are not good..

when leaves are on trees in oct, different story ..any dog or hunter can get close..

so, dogs i like are LAB,LLEWELLIN SETTER,BEAGLE MIX.. the lab with long legs and skinny waist is one i like a lot but they seem to tire out in about 2 hrs or so..

llewellin setters ,boy, they go all day..

all around dog, no doubt in my mind is LONG LEGGED LAB..and if they can hold a point, oh my, that would be something to see..

hunting pressure has affected birds more than ever..they are REAL SPOOKY after being hunted and NO LEAVES on trees..

this is why i like to hunt grouse in the afternoon when wind is blowing here in pa..it gives you chance to get CLOSE to spooky grouse..

when leaves are dry,its impossible to get close to spooky grouse,dog or no dog..

this is fun of hunting and why i show anyone who asks where to hunt grouse in my area..

any dog is good dog as long as you are happy with results..kiling grouse is not fun, shooting at them and having dog get excited is fun..

i went thru box of shells this year shooting over heads of grouse/woodcock..i only kill a couple a year and carry a dead grouse in my coat..then after i shoot , i throw the grouse in brush and my dog thinks i shot it and retrieves it back to me..

fun is hunting ,not killing..
Old 12-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Elhew dogs hunt according to the cover presented. My tale was in mile+ long fields. The same dogs have also "Tip Toed" thru cover slowy in search of Grouse and Woodcock. Its funny to see them sneaking like that to be quiet.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:14 AM

I am kind of in the same situation. I chose the French Brittany. A little higher priced, but well worth it I think.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:06 PM

You will never find a better friend than a golden,he will hunt till you can't and watch you family when you are working.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:22 PM

a well bred pointing Lab would fit your bill and i could hook you up with some of the best.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RustyD02359

A Pointer.

nice info,which brings up another comment from ,ME..

i see now that different kinds of terrain also plays into which dog is one you want to be with.

lets use pointer for pa. hunting in big woods..if pointer is out on the steep edge of mountain,100 yds on point,you have to get there..

as you get older, lets say over 50 years old, man, its killer to keep up with dog that is out 100 yds or more in these mountains here,1 trip,broken leg or gun..that is young mans game, for sure..

this is why i like the SMALL LONG LEGGED, SKINNY WAIST AMERICAN LAB.. they hunt CLOSE..no need to hustle to get there before the grouse flushes..flush will be at 20/30 yds..as you get older,this is nice..

i saw 2 springer spaniels at preserve a month ago..i watched thru my binoculars..those dogs were out in front in field about 40 yds ahead of hunter..he was blowing whistle trying to keep them closer,guess what, pheasant went up,flying straight out, i bet when he shot, it was over 70 yards..he missed..

those dogs continued to cover territory but CHASED birds will not sit when dogs are running back/forth,they run ,then flush..

it seems every bird i flush with a lab, goes right up at 20/30 yds..

i wish labs would hold point on grouse as they are tough to pin..

phesants, i dont care as its usually CLEAR shot, no brush over my head on in my face..

so, TERRAIN you are hunting is best judge of what dog to have and what is out there that your dog can get into..pa . has following..

deer/bears/bobcats/yotes/porcupines/skunks/groundhogs/rattlesnakes/bees,these are animals etc you will meet,sooner or later..

now here are conditions, hunters traps/wind/rain/snow/cold/fog/ticks/briars/holes in ground/logs to jump over/laural/streams to cross/steep hillsides..

dog you have must be able to handle the above and not get scared if something happens..my dog was in hunters traps 3 times in 2 years,yet, he did not get hurt or was afraid to hunt in that area again..

you must have dog that is strong, not afraid, strong feet..dog that looks for you not you looking for him..dog that hunts close..dog who hair is not all full of briars..

of all dogs i have seen in my life, i can narrow it down to 1..

that is the SMALL ,LONG LEGGED,SKINNY WAIST,AMERICAN LAB..

Quick Reply: which breed of dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.