Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

which breed of dog?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: which breed of dog?

i was impressed that dog only hunted about 20 30 yards out in front..others, they go way out..i HATE that..
Most dogs you train them how you want them to hunt for you and learn with them so that you are working as a team. If you are trialing you want them to run way out. If not and just want a basic hunting dog you try to work them in close. Most will if they listen good and how close is up to you.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I vote the German Wirehair.. I have had this type of dog for over 30 years and for my money they are an excellent hunting dog, companion and family pet. We have plotts for cat and bear hunting and the wirehair for everything else....
Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Rusty,

I have heard a few times now that since Bob's death, the quality of the dogs coming out of Elhew really aren't that special. Any truth to this?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

English setter is all you need.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

great we all have dog breed we like..some of you just say likeENGLISH SETTER.maybe you could explain why you like dog you do,hunting and at home reasons..

more than just HUNTING with dog,home and the invironment is imporatant also..thanks..
Old 03-16-2007, 03:35 PM

I have three setters. Two from havelock setters and one pup from the two of them. My male a little slower to learn than my female(she could not be bought). The female and pup are house dogs and are the best. My female is so fun to watch in the field, and a joy in the home. the pup is 11 weeks old, he is crate trained , he is 99% potty trained(has not had a accident in the house in 2 weeks,but would not leave him alone just yet), knows his name and what NO means. Basically they are smart, the quiet temperment you would like in the house, and the good onesare as hard charging as you need. Every breed has there ups and downs and the setter i guess is the hair. Well i let my dogs clean themselves up, and only help around the ears. Lastly friends, there is nothing like pulling your dog from your daughters bed, making a small drive to the field and watching an animal do everything in there capabilities to please and huntfor the one carrying the gun. My vote, a setter, an english setter.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM

I don't have the experience with the upland game other than dove but after 40 years of hunting - most of that waterfowl - the lab is the toughest most dependable kid loving hunteryou can find - My last one I had for 13 years and put him down this summer. When I get another hunter it will be a lab...

Old 03-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: olinla

I don't have the experience with the upland game other than dove but after 40 years of hunting - most of that waterfowl - the lab is the toughest most dependable kid loving hunteryou can find - My last one I had for 13 years and put him down this summer. When I get another hunter it will be a lab...

i too feel same way on lab..be careful on getting puppy..check out the mother/father real good..many of my friends are getting labs that BITE..

vet said he is seeing a lot of it..lab used to be a nice dog but many are not..

those cheap labs are ones i see it happening..i would go to the best lab breeder you can find..those backyard fools are causing a lot of problems..

800 dollars or more is cheap in long run if you get a great dog that does not bite..
Old 03-18-2007, 07:42 PM

I have a Chocolate Pointing Lab and she is outstanding. I had her out to SD last year pheasant hunting at 5 months and she did great! Nothing beats a lab for in the cattails!