Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Opening Dove Weekend in Oklahoma >

Opening Dove Weekend in Oklahoma

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Opening Dove Weekend in Oklahoma

Old 09-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Opening Dove Weekend in Oklahoma

We have been spoiled the past 5 or so years with our dove hunting. In the past it wasn't unusual to be done at 8 o'clock or possibly earlier. This year was a little different story and the lack of rain was all to blame. Here in Oklahoma we have been in a severe draught causing the milo, maize, and other seed crop not to grow. In return not leaving any food for dove. We still had a lot of birds around, but it was not like it has been. The opening morningeveryone gottheir limit of 15 by10 o'clockon Friday, and then the rain came in. It rained all weekend pretty steadily, which slowed the birds down even more. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I averaged about 10 birds, which is still a good meal, but not a limit. This is very uncommon for us not to limit out, and hope this cold front that is coming in will help push some more birds down.

HUNTING SEASON HAS OFFICIALLY OPENED!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 AM

Default RE: Opening Dove Weekend in Oklahoma

I hope you are right! I went late monday evening and we only got 1 dove between the three of us (my buddies and i). We only saw 3 doves the entire time.....I think the rain really messed up their usual flight to roost, and put them in earlier than we expected.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I noticed a decline in the amount of dove this year as well and we are in a drought, too. I was still able to get my limit each day I went out, but it wasn't as quick as it has been in the previous years.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 AM

Two weeks before season around where i hunt on the flats in Norman, birds were everywhere. Powerlines covered, cut grain fields looked like they were moving. But, about 2 days before, they all just left. I shot one time and got one bird, thats been it so far. Although i have been seeing quite a few teal this year.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

If you have a place where there are alot oif doves,if you know there is rain or a front,hunt there as many times as you can.I had a place in south texasBirds were every wher first weekend.AFter a cold front,all the birds left and they havent come back only a few.