Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 How was your opening day of dove season? >

How was your opening day of dove season?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

How was your opening day of dove season?

Old 09-01-2004, 06:30 PM

Default How was your opening day of dove season?

Looked like there was a lot of interest in shooting doves, so I was curious how your opening day went. I and two friends set up for three hours and shot 45 doves. The limit here is 15 per person. We had a lot of fun, but we are not the greatest shots. when the tally was totaled, it took about 4 shells per dove. Oh! Well! it sure was fun. I hope you all had great opening days. Lots of doves in this part of the country this year (eastern colorado).
Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How was your opening day of dove season?

I went out dove hunting after goose hunting this AM . I got my 15 in just over a hour with 24 shells . not a bad AM 4 teal 1 goose 15 doves
Old 09-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

0 for 25 - not a good opening day[:'(]
Old 09-01-2004, 11:48 PM

had a heck of a shoot......birds was coming in left and right......got my limit real fast......had a good one
Old 09-02-2004, 04:56 AM

We pocket our limit of those grey rockets today at the Spring valley lotto shoot.......it never seeks to amaze me just how hard it is to hit those little critters after they turn on those afterburners and start their sky dancing stunts......good shoot really liked the control hunts......you can come and go from your assign station as you please with no pressure of anybody moving in.....very relax......only 11 stations on an 8 acre field......not too bad....birds started slow but pick up by 3......good hunt overall.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:56 AM

Georgia dove season opens Saturday Sept. 4 @ noon. Not sure what type of shoot we'll have due to all the bad weather.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 AM

I limited out here in Texas. We seem to have quite a few birds this year.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:25 PM

The day started off bad cause I had to get up at 4am to drive to my spot. It is a long drive to eastern WA and I did not get there early enough and got stuck with a crappy location. So in the morning I only got off 5 shots and 0 birds.

I left to scout some other areas that did not pan out so I went back to my origional spot and to my surprise everyone had left. From 12:00 to 1:30 I had the place to myself shooting from a prime approach to the main roost. Birds were comming in in pairs or groups of 4. I don't have a dog and the birds are hard to find in the sage brush so my technique was to pick off a bird and retrieve it immediately. The pairs and groups kept comming in and had a 10 bird limit by 1:30.

I totally exceeded muy own expectations and it was an awesome ending for my first dove hunt.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

me and bowhuntinoh had a blast we seen thousands of doves, i just took my time and enjoyed the first opening day of hunting season, we did the draw out at fallsville ohio and it turned out great......no pressure and plenty of birds we had a blast!!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wasn't any doves around because of the rain so I went grouse hunting instead ,got three ruffed and a blue grouse opening day . Wil try it again Friday .

Quick Reply: How was your opening day of dove season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.