Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Too late for doves??

Old 10-15-2002, 11:34 PM

Default Too late for doves??

Last couple trips out I've seen very few birds.

Is it too late for doves in Texas?? Or am I just in the wrong place?

Plan is to try out my new skills from the skeet range on some REAL DELICIOUS targets!! Them clays are also tough to kill... but they're a beyotch to clean and taste like dirt. hehe...

Clark

Houston, TX
Old 10-16-2002, 10:09 AM

Default RE: Too late for doves??

Hang in there, JC. The public lands close to any city have been heavily trampled by now. The good news is that most dove hunters have quit for the season AND the cooler weather is pushing northern birds our way. You're in a good spot, because you've got until Nov. 3rd for the South Zone. My suggestion would be to find something in the Type II book as far from any city as you're willing to drive and maybe the pressure has been less there. There are pretty good areas around Kingsville (Kleburg Co.) if you're willing to go that far. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

well being every day i see birds coming and going you should see them coming...its been getting cold here in PA...for a week or so they seemed to be far and few between but a few days before that seemd to be a massive fly before the first coldfront came...now they come in bunches and go..too bad i havent got out to hunt them this year...but they should still be coming down to you!

Old 10-21-2002, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Last year after shooting the duck opener, I came home and shot 10 dove off a poorly harvested corn field.