Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Bird dog opinions???

Old 02-18-2006, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Bird dog opinions???

I might be the exception to the rule of staying with one breed - I started out with a GSP named Moose and after he passed I got an ESS named Bandit. After he passed I got a big yellow Lab named Levi and he is now four. I recently bought a fbECS named Barney that besides pheasant hunting I also do hunt tests with him. Barney is 21 months I told my wife that the fbECS was going to be my dog of choice from now on and she told me I said that about all the dogs I've brought into the house. We shall see.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:59 AM

Ok got a few questions On best dog for upland bird hunting, I'am 1.5 year Grouse hunter here in Western , NY I been thinking of a Lab, because they are so versatile when it comes to Good natured/Family/Hunting dog....But .. I have a Jack russell now That used to hunt good !! but since gone Gun shy & any loud noise spooks him, why i have no idea...He loves to go to the woods, ride in my truck And atad possive over me, Im his buddy .......Ok if i get a lab, do you think my jacks bad habits will rub off until him/her on the new dog...

Raymond
Old 02-19-2006, 06:32 AM

As far as being gun-shy, that just depends on the dog. Now if he saw the Jack Russell getting frightened when you shot, he might think it is cause to be frightened too. But if you took him out without the Jack Russ. he would react however it is that he would react regardless of the Jack Russell's tendencies. I am not talking particularly about labs, but any dog with the right breeding and training can make a good hunting dog. There are plenty of good labs out there, but there are plenty of other breeds too. Just do your research and find what dog is best for you.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Perhaps youshould pin down the reason why your Jack Russell became gun shy. Too many guns at once? Introduction to the gun wasn't done correctly or too soon? Did you go from a .22 to louder shotgun blast?

No matter what breed you do get, you need to figure out what made your Jack Russell gunshy; you don't wantto repeat it with your new dog.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Mite

Perhaps youshould pin down the reason why your Jack Russell became gun shy. Too many guns at once? Introduction to the gun wasn't done correctly or too soon? Did you go from a .22 to louder shotgun blast?

No matter what breed you do get, you need to figure out what made your Jack Russell gunshy; you don't wantto repeat it with your new dog.
Good Point
Old 03-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

i like my labroedors
Old 03-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

labs
Old 03-05-2006, 09:32 PM

I've had a Brit, GSPs, and now Labs. LABS hands down!!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 AM

All my life my dad had and still has English Springers he loves em and so do I but I just got my first black lab pup and can not waite to get him into the woods.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe the hunt has to be bred in them. Recently the AKC has announced that the black lab was the most popular bred dog on in 2005
on the AKC register. I would be doing my research regardless of the breed you choose. I would want the pup to be what I'm looking for. As most know I like the Irish and there is alot of them that are no good to me and
researching had to be done. So be carefull picking what you want.

Quick Reply: Bird dog opinions???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.