HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Bird dog opinions??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/126918-bird-dog-opinions.html)

Woodsman66 12-30-2005 09:33 AM

Bird dog opinions???

Looking to get into upland game. Sitting in a treestand all day gettting boring!! I've been thinking of a Brittany Spaniel as a pointer so I can go after Ohio and PA grouse. Would same dog do well out in pheasant country or do most folks use flushers? Any other pointer breeds recommended?

porknbeans 12-30-2005 11:05 AM

RE: Bird dog opinions???

For that type of hunting a Brit will do you fine. If you want a pointer, you may also want to look into an English Setter, Griffon, German Shorthair or Wirehair. For flushers, you can look at any of the retriever (Lab, Chessie, Flat coat) breeds.

So that you know, I have a Brit and I'm very pleased with her on this very type of game.

RedDogRunner 12-30-2005 11:12 AM

[8D]that's a fine breed, and there's always been a controversy as to pheasant hunting and flushing/pointing breeds.
I've owned Vizslas for 25yrs now. and I've done fine in the pheasant fields with them, as well as using them as a retriever in the dove fields, chasing chukars in the lava flows of the Mojave desert and quail in the valleys and mts. of Ca
My girl and I just got back from spending an entire season, minus one week, this one, in Minnesota, and she hunted in snow as well as I for the first time in our lives and she miss a beat!
There's a long list of fine pointing breeds: English Pointer, English Setter, Gordon Setter, Irish Setter, German Shorthair/Wirehair, Pointing Griffon, Small & Large Munsterlanders, French and American Brittneys, Spinone(Italian), Pudelpointer, Pointing Labs???, Wirehaired Vizsla, Vizsla, Weimeriner.
All absolutely fine breeds, good luck on your decision making!.

Rebel Hog 12-30-2005 04:43 PM

Back in the 80's I had 2 Brittanys and they were great, but had alot grooming after a hunt. Went to German Short Hair's after about 10yrs with the Britts.

bobeyerite 12-30-2005 06:06 PM

I have had several Brittany's in the past 50 years and never had a bad one. A Brit will hunt any birds you want as long it is a game bird. I live in Washington and my current Brit will hunt Fantail Grouse, Chukkar, Huns Partridge, Quail, and Pheasant. He handles them all very well. But you can bet if there is Quail and Pheasant running together, which does happen more than you think. He will take the Pheasant every time. I hope this answers your question.

Bob

Coyotestalker 12-30-2005 06:12 PM

Weimaraners or german shorthairs.....They perform awesome.

versdog 12-31-2005 10:35 AM

You may want to look at a versatile breed such as Drahthaars or Kuzhaars. They are commonly used for blood tracking deer also. Check and see if that is legal in your state.

RedDogRunner 12-31-2005 05:25 PM

I have a friend that has exclusively used Britts for the entire time I've used my Vizslas, in addition , my brother and nephew have used Britts, the first one given to him out at the pheasant club we were members of. Otherwise, no telling what breed he may have chosen.
I've done my personal poll, and come to the conclusion, that, whatever the first bird dog one may happen upon, they've stuck with that breed more often than not!

llbts1 12-31-2005 06:47 PM

Well I love my English Pointer. She has a great nose and was very easy to train. She probably taught me more about bird hunting than I taught her. I think that getting a good blood line is as important as anything. Larry

llbts1 12-31-2005 06:49 PM

One other thing I meant to add. My pointer is great with the kids and has the best disposition. Larry