Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Illinois Upland Championship >

Illinois Upland Championship

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Illinois Upland Championship

Old 12-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Illinois Upland Championship

Is any on this forum goin to participate in this? I will be signing up for the first one to see what it is like. I hear it is a pretty fun time.

http://www.illinoisupland.com/index.asp

Just want to see if anyone has any experience in this.

Thanks!!

Jared
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 AM

Default RE: Illinois Upland Championship

What kind of dog are you running Jared? I'll be down there, wouldn't miss it!

Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM

I have a orange/white french brittany. hes about 2.5. Ive only had him on pheasants like 5 times. I am from Tucson AZ so he absolutely loves it out here (ill be out here till march). A lot better for him than those damn mearns who run all day long.

I just figured it was another way to gethim on a lot of birds and mix up the regular hunting routine a little w/ some competition. By no means am I expecting to do well (I sure hopewe do well though!) but mainly just want to meet people, talk about training and get him some more birds!!

Itll be embarrasing when he does well and Imiss all my shots!! (im brutal!!)
Old 12-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Well the first Regional was a BLAST!!!!A gorgeous day in Forrest IL...a bit windy, but man it was fun. These guys put on a pretty first class show...very organized and smooth running.

Curious to see my points, didnt catch them before i left. My dog trapped two birds that didnt fly...and I shot 2 others on each run. Im not quite sure how the points work, or how they scale or rate each of the scoring categories.

I think I got docked when I would try to flush the bird and my dog would break. I can command whoa through the whole time and he'll stay, but when I am out hunting by myself, when I make the first bunch of noise, Ill have him come in and help me find it/flush it, specially when he points from a long ways. I just wasnt thinking about pointswhen i was out there!! Bob, do you have any pointers here?

But man its fun getting a little adrenaline going before a hunt!!

Oh,the only bad thing about today was when my time ended on the first run, we took about twenty steps and my dog locked up on a pheasant...could see the damn cock bird right beside us. I wish they would let us flush it and miss it. Had to pull my dog off point. Bet he was wondering what the hell i was doing. He was like "DUDE!!! THERES A BIRD RIGHT THERE YOU IDIOT!!" hahahaha maybe he will think next time i have to point even stauncher to get me to notice