Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Kansas Opening Weekend

Old 11-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Kansas Opening Weekend

Just wonderin how ya'lls opening weekend went. Our group did alright. yesterday we got 15 pheasant and into some quail, but it was too dangerous to shoot. Then today we got 6 pheasant and 11 quail. Can't be disappointed with that. Always fun to watch the dogs work.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 PM

Default RE: Kansas Opening Weekend

Just got back home, we got 18 birds in 2 1/4 days between three of us. Not too bad. I was expecting a little better. We'll be back out on saturday morn.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Hunted around the Mankato Ks. area for the opener. unseasonablly warm dry and very windy but did manage to limit out on saturday. only took one bird on sunday could have gotten more but let other hunters shoot birds over My dog
Old 11-16-2005, 06:45 AM

Its always fun to shoot birds, but I think it is equally fun to have friends shoot birds over your dog....
Old 11-16-2005, 02:11 PM

My son went out to Bucklin for the weekend, on opening day 11 hunters got 43pheasants and quit at 3:00. A friend and I went out Sunday after a day of refereeing college football to join the group with a new supply of shells. We still had 11 huntersfor most of the day and got 25 pheasants and a hand full of quail. Windy and dry and sopme crop still in the fields. Reports around Wellington, Kansas has been poor most groups did not do very well to hot, dry & windy. I know hunter around Pratt that limited out both days.

Have a safe and good hunt this weekend.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:06 PM

yea... it was probably the hottest opener i'm ever going to see this year... it was so dry too.. no sent for the dogs to work with... we did alright around salina... sat.we had 15 ppl and got 16 pheasant, and then sun. we had 8 guys and got 6 pheasant and 8 quail.... not too bad either day, but we have seen a lot better days....
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 AM

Just got back from a week in KS.
Opening weekend in the Hanston area we had 107 roosters when we quit after lunch on Sunday. Mon & Tues spot-n-stalked Mulies and a couple whitetails in a 60 mph breeze around Dighton, Wed-Thurs bird hunted with another guy and we limited out both days around Jetmore, Friday I caught up on sleep, Sat hunted with a different guy and got 3 roosters and 8 quail near Goessel.

Highlights included seeing old friends and meeting new ones, getting my year-old lab on wild birds for the first time, a 10 yr old and his grandfather each getting their first birds and the ensuing "tailfeather club" initiation (cutting off their own tailfeathers (shirttails) then throwing their hats in the air and everyone shooting them), seeing a real-live jack-alope (was actually a bobcat with a small tumbleweed around it's head that looked like antlers as it ran), and hunting with a guy that hasn't let loosing the use of both legs keep him out of the upland fields
Old 11-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Sounds like all had a pretty successful hunt.
Last weekend I went to Hill City with my dad and met up with some old time friends and we out. It was amazing hunting. In two days of hunting, 8 guys got 60 pheasant and 8 quail. A lot of wild flying birds, but at least the dogs got on them. Good thing it was a little more wet than last weekend too. Helped the dogs find the ones that we knocked down. I think we only lost one bird.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:53 PM

in a day and a half our group shot 112 pheasants and 10 quail, coulda had more quail but we didnt wanna look for them in the thick grass we were hunting