Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 MO Opening Weekend >

MO Opening Weekend

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

MO Opening Weekend

Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Default MO Opening Weekend

Hey all MO Hunters

Have not posted in a long time but here goes.

Frustrating opening weekend. Hunt northeast of Kansas City in the Richmond area. I personally saw nothing (cept a a couple yotes) after hunting Saturday till Monday at about noon. I should say nothing while hunting, a couple driving to stand. Jumped zero.Three of ushunt about 60 acres or so. My one buddy did have a shot on an 8-10 pt, but it was over 200 yards away and the other guy had a 5 point close for a chip shot, but obviously no shot due to the regulations. Me, just a shot on yotes.

Wanted to hear what everyone else's thoughts on the weekend were. I have heard some reports out of northwest MO that they saw nothing as well.
Does everyone expect a better second weekend?
Thinking about going back for second weekend, but not sure if it is worth the three hour drive (please note that this is the first time I have ever thought about not hunting the second weekend especiallywith the wife's ok, I am in a weird spot right now, haha)

Thanks for any info. Also, if I can, I may post a map and see if anyone has any ideas about where to hunt.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MO Opening Weekend

i live just outside richmond where are ya hunting? i might be able to give ya some tips.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 AM

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/outdoors/story/896072.html
-Lowest opening weekend kill total since 1999. From a high of 133,136 in 2004 to 98,565 this year. That's quitea drop.

I hunt in the northeast part of the state and I saw quite a few deer. However, I am fortunate enough to hunt outstanding property with relatively little pressure.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Thanks mizzouhunter. I must have spent 20 minutes of company time yesterday trying to find an article like that.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a great opening weekend. I'm sure the drop was partially because of the new counties in AR's.
Here's a link to my weekend.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3174392

Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 PM

I did see your post, great buck and congratulations.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you, BTW, I was in Montgomery County.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think this weekend will be a little bit better. i'm seeing alot more buck movement. right now the younger bucks are really getting aggressive. i have had 3 come into grunt calls looking for fights.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM

i think this weekend will be a little bit better.
I agree. And I thinkthatthe second weekend has been better for the last couple of years. I really wonder how long it will be before MDC shifts firearms season back one week. I know they talked about it during the last round of changes, but decided against it.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think shifting rifle season back a week would be GREAT. Mainly because that way a lot more does get bred by bucks, before the bucks get shot.

Quick Reply: MO Opening Weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.