Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Bird Hunting around DeKalb IL >

Bird Hunting around DeKalb IL

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Bird Hunting around DeKalb IL

Old 09-09-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Bird Hunting around DeKalb IL

I am new to the Dekalb county area, and am looking for some areas to bird hunt. I have hunted quailand pheasant previously, but always on hunting trips to Texas or Kansas. Can anyone help me out with public places to hunt around Northern Illinois. I dont wan tto end up paying a ton of money to join any hunt clubs at this point. I have a new pointer pup who is in training. I want to get him out for an experience working the fields some this fall and winter without it costing me an arm and a leg.

James

Old 09-09-2005, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Bird Hunting around DeKalb IL

My uncle lives in Rochelle and he said the number of birds is way down he didn't even try last year, he said there are few birds in the area. whenI lived in Creston we would ask some of the farmers to hunt after the crops were down and had good luck but that was back in thelate 80's early 90's. The Shabbona area use to be good around the State Park and around Dixon and Oregon. Sorry could'nt be more help good luck.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:23 PM

Shabbona, Desplanes, or up in Wi. at the Bong Recreation Area. Insert your worst pot joke. All three parks have phesant hunts and daily bird planting. Or you could wait for my club to open up and do a hunt with me. I am in McHenry County, and a member at the Coon Creek Club.I have a flusher pup, I am not sure how it would work out. But why not give it a try.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:52 PM

You could also try Green River Conservation They do a released pheasant hunt a couple of times a week for I think 20.00it is located about 40 minutes west of you near Ohio, IL just south of Dixon
Old 10-19-2005, 04:41 PM

Well I took my pup out to get his nose wet this weekend and we flushed up 2 cocks. After the first one, my dog knew the smell, and was excited as could be when he smelled the second one. We were insome private propertyjust between Waterman and DeKalb. We were only out there an hour or so, and saw these two birds.

I just hope that these birds are still around in a month or twowhen I am ready to hunt with him.