Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 ND Bird Hunting >

ND Bird Hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ND Bird Hunting

Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 AM

Default ND Bird Hunting

This will be my first time hunting ND for Upland Birds. I've hunted other westen states for deer and elk, but never birds. I'll be staying at a private home whose owner has 15,000 acres. Pheasants, Sharptails and Huns. I'll be taking two 20 gauge shotguns; a Win 101 O/U pigeon grade and a CZ-Ringneck SxS. We'll be accompanied by my 4 year old French Britt.

Is anyone familiar with this area? What type of terrain can I expect? what weather conditionscan Iexpect around the last couple weeks of October?
Any advise would be most appreciated.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ND Bird Hunting

First of all, where in ND you going? Weather conditions up here in Oct....lol.....somewhere between a Blizzard and 80+ degrees. I would guess you are somewhere around mitchel SD. Weather approx. 35 at night 55 during the day.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:33 PM

As I understand it we will be staying somewhere about 20 miles south of Dickinson, ND. Is this country fairly flat, rolling hills or what? What can I expect?
Would I need my Filson brush pants or just chaps? Vest or canvas coat?
Or should I just bring it all?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Just got back from there...expect hot and windy. It is rolling hills and farmland. Saw lots of birds and a few snakes. There is cactus and thorns in the brush. Had frost on my canoe in the morning and 80's in the afternoon.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like stated rolling farm land. As far as the weather, I would pack it all. You just dont know up here. Last year in November for rifle hunting it was 70+. The year before was -30.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:50 PM

I just found out I'll be hunting near Amidon, ND the latter half of October. I'll be bringing two 20 gauge guns, my Win 101 Pigeon O/U and my CZ Huglu Ringneck SxS. (Both have choke tubes.)
I'm thinking of buying Fiochi Golden Pheasant shells in #5 and #6 for Pheasant and Sharptail.I've never hunted Hungarian Partrige before so I have to ask, what is the most suitable shot size for them?

What precautions should I anticipate for the dog in relation to the cactus and thorns or isn't it a factor?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no cactus to speak of. There is stuff that will grab ya, but no Cactus. Hungarian Partridge...lol....be prepared to miss. Dont flock shoot or you will never hit one. Pick out a bird and shoot. Im guessing that the Hunnies will be in the same feilds so you wont be able to change chokes anyway. If you can a I.C. with 7.5 shot works good
Old 09-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Here in Pennsylvania we have a lot of Multi Flora Rose that reminds you a lot of "Wait A Minute Vines" from RVN. I generally carry a pair of prunung snips as these sticker bushes can get very thick. I guess I'll take them along.

I'm used to shooting flocks of birds as I hunt Quail in New (South) Jersey, and your correct in that you have to pick out an individual bird if you want to bring home any game.

Just got an e-mail from my partner who said that the rancher recently lost a dog to a mountain lion as did a close by neighbor. Can I carry a side arm (38 special) while small game hunting?