Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wind Strategy Question

Old 05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wind Strategy Question

I'm expecting showers turning to rain tomorrow with wind from NNE, building from 5 to 15-18 mph over the morning. I have two choices for fields bordering the woods (state forest), one on the northeast side at the top of a draw and below the brow of a hill, and the other on the west side, with another draw coming up into it. I haven't scouted or hunted either location this year. I'm thinking I should set up looking down into the draw and out into the field with a deke out there on the more protected west side. Ideas? Opinions? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Default RE: Wind Strategy Question

Pretty much same forcast here in CT. If the wind stays with an easterly component I'll be expecting birds to be real quiet and I'll be headed home before I get to soaked.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neither,

Run and gun through the forests. When the locals bi%ch, just tell them you're from Mass-a-chew-setts, and they'll forgive and forget [8D]

In all ernest, joking aside, I actually do like to cutt-n-runn when it rains. Simply because the birds will either hold in tight evergreen draws, or stay in the fields, during those nasty days of Spring. If the wind is calm, try and find one on the roost and if that doesn't pan out, move...

I can remember, in years past, that birds haven't flown off the roost until nearly noon in weather like they're predicting tomorrow...[:@]
Old 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM

The Woods Is A Dumb Idea When Windy And Raining.

Hit The Feilds Because Turkeys Will To. They Head To Fields Because In Woods They Cant Hear. So They Go Ina Feild So They See Ahead Of The Animals. Infact We Did That Today And I Shot At One. Missed...But Got One Later Anyways In A Field. They Were Sunnign Drying Themselves....
Also When Rainy Get As Close To Roost Tree As Ya Can.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

th15,

Point 1: In a 1000 acre national forest that holds birds, with no fields, where should I hunt?

Point 2: I have over 500 acres of huntable lands here in CT. Many have large rolling pastures (20+acres). Took a drive this morning at 9am, and lo & behold, wouldn't you know it---there were no birds in the fields. I've counted over 25 different birds gobbling on the properties...

Guess they must still be in the woods, even with the 20mph wind and the rain, huh?!