Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wind question

Old 09-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Default wind question

well, i'm from nc and it's blowing like crazy here! i was just wondering what the worst wind you will hunt. i won't to go out but i'm not sure it's worth it. the wind is 15-25 gusting to 35! i don't think i could here anything over the wind. what do you guys do when it's real windy??????????
Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wind question

I tend to be anti anything 30mph+. Thankfully there are a couple spots on our land that thick woods and rolling hills block the wind if it's coming from the west, which it normally does around here.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like it blows like that quite a bit here. I'll still go out and maybe stalk or if I am in my stand I'll rely on my eyes to do the work. Only a tornado would keep me from going!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still go, but the deer stay put and hole up.
Gotta still-hunt. It's easy to be quiet, but toughto find deer.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM

im the same as mottz..only a tornadoe would stop me from goin..actually ive hunted through thunderstorms..during spring turkey..i was in the woods when there was reports of tornados touchin down in adjacent counties on my radio..i kinda got the point tho and packed up and left lol.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Spike

Stalking is the way to go when it is windy imo. You can't hear much but the good thing is neither can the deer. Move very slowly and keep your head on a swivel. Move a few steps stop and take a good look around. It takes alot of patience but it does pay off. Like someone on here signature line says: you can't kill'em from the couch!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM

I'll hunt in a hurricane if i have to.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

They'll seldom move when it's that windy...unless pressured. Or horny.

And....a crap day in the woods still beats sittin' home gettin' b*tched at...
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM

wind direction can greatly be greatly influenced by terrain in a specific area. Compared to those who hunt hill country or mountainous settings generally provide a disadvantage. Wind behavior can be pretty tough to predict when it swirls and rebounds off hillsides. However, there are some general concepts that once understood will help to balance everything out. For begginners and veterans alike, it is a good idea to hunt as high as possible in a hilly setting. Hilltop field funnels, ridgeline points and saddles offer great places to hunt, not only becuz the features tend to funnel or concentrate deer movement but also becuz the wind direction stays more consistent in those areas relative to valleys oer lower elevations. At least this is what i have found, and it seems to help on those windy days.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, if the wind remains from the same direction I hunt in it, if it is swirling and changing I stay out of the woods that day. Many times a windy day will turn into a calm breezewith about 1 hour of shooting light left.

Quick Reply: wind question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.