HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - encounter question
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 07:56 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: encounter question

yep....most of it actually is woods.....its all pretty new....before the farmer just had the cows in a little REAL pasture area....a few trees here and there...but mainly a grass field....but he expanded it this year.....and the cows travel clear across a creek...down and up VERY steep hills.....and were over malesting my turkey hunt...boss tom or not....he looked big.....definetnly a shooter for me....it would only be my 3rd bird....i just dont want to shoot a jake..or my tag would been filled first light saturday....i find it odd that he didnt have hens....and that he wasnt gobbling.....but all the birds are tight lipped...saturday they were going absolutely nuts.....and it was POURING rain....this whole week been nicer then saturday....a bit cooler though.....pressure isnt all that great.....i mean..saturday there were a few hunters there....and a few shots....but since then its been me twice....and my buddys yesterday....they park at the barn..walk to the woods and sit down....they arent big turkey hunters...first year for them....my one buddy did roll one saturday though...first light im going to get up to that fence....listen for them to sound off....if i dont hear anything ill set up by where he was strutting.....only one direction he can come from....the that narrows it down......he cant roost in an open field.....and i bet he roosts right on the edge of that ridge 100yds away....flys down...and thats his first stop on his rounds......thats on the way to the fields...he probably stops there to garther hens....and wake up.....i hope he does that tomarrow....he will have someone waiting on him....not exzactly the hen hes wanting.... but a stiff load of copper #5s will greet him.....2yr old 10 yr old.....doesnt matter...hes got a nice rope on him....and already gave me one exciting hunt.....thats all its about......that hour or so i watched him i had my neck all cocked crooked.....man i got the worst kink in it now!! but it was all worth it....many times it looked like he was going to commit...that got the ole ticker goin good....thanks alot.....ill let you know what happens tomarow........