HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - encounter question
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 02:40 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default encounter question

today....i was sneakin along a fence line looking for birds in the fields....and trying to strike a gobble....about 7am id have to say.....well theres a pasture...fenced in...cleard out....woods one both sides....i look down the far fenceline and low and behold....a strutting longbeard...i drop down immediatly....and sneak back and climb the 6 foot fence....kinda hard in turkey gear...but i did it.....he had no idea i was there....let out some calls.....i can see him strutting....walking around...ect....he looked around for my calls.....and after 15 20 mins he let one gobble out.....id call a series or 2 on a call or 2.....then give him the silent treatment for 10-15 mins.....hes strutting....walking around.....all in the same area....then he walked down the fenceline 10yds or so....came into the field jogging towards my fenceline...then walked back...strutted around more...walked around more.....i called another 2 or 3 series every 10-15mins....letting him know i see him....and im waiting for him....he got impatient and was slowly walking down the fenceline....when the herd of cows came BARGING up the pasture and wood line......and spooked him....i spoke to a guy that was walking through the same area the other day and he said he saw a big longbeard in the same area...but lost sight of him.....this longbeard is BIG.....big THICK beard....and i could see it between his legs when he walked.....big ole bird....i have tomarow and friday to hunt....weather looks perfect....he had no hens at all.....is that his "strut zone"??? i was reading field and stream this month and they say if you find the strut zone set up by it.......call how i did.....and wait....wait and wait....he will show........i think all the hens in the area are nesting....we call in lone hens there....and lone males...my buddy hunts across the gulley....what should i do?? my plan right now is to get there early.....atleast 40 mins before first light.....and just wait him out....calling how i did.....but this time ill be waiting there for him.....not 70yds away....think that would be my best plan of attack?? the birds are all pretty tight lipped...cant figure out why...mornings are cold....but day its warm...and nice today....tomarows nicer.....and warmer......any tips....ideas.....tactics....id love to roll him tomarow....hes a big ole bird....i know that rope is atleast 9....probably 10 or 11....i never hunted a strut zone...and think thats what i found.....thanx alot.......lemme know what you guys think