HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - encounter question
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: encounter question

Mauser,

Sorry, when I think of "pasture", I envision rolling green grass spaces. I sometimes forget that many farmers also enclose part of the woods for shade access---you would think someone in Animal Science wouldn't forget such things...

With your more complete description, I would bet 9/10 that the clearing is a primary strut zone. Gives a good vantage point. If he wasn't gobbling much though, he probably isn't the boss, especially if he doesn't have hens. Probably a big 2 year-old waiting in line...

If you're going to setup in the strut zone, my best advice is to let him come to you in a complete ambush. Get comfy and don't say a peep. Sounding off before he gets there may be bad, especially if there is a bigger bird in the area with hens.

And if he won't come without calls, well then there's always Friday . I feel it's always better to play it safe first, then go aggressive, on private lands. And I personally hate not running that call, but sometimes that's what ya' gotta' do to fill a tag...

S&R