Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 season over for me finally >

season over for me finally

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

season over for me finally

Old 04-29-2005, 08:09 AM

Default season over for me finally

well,it was a tough season,but finally got the third one.
well,i finally closed the deal on the bird i have been hunting for two weeks.i named him strutter and his buddy stupid.although,stupid was never allowed to gobble,he was allowed to strut side by side on this last day.stupid,stood solidly upright while strutter put on the show for the ladies.i had these birds within a hundred yards several times,but the real thing was not worth giving up.i called the flock off their roost across the slough only to have them follow the three hens that were closer to me that flew down in the field and headed towards another field.i was sick.i got up and tryed to get around them.he strutted and stupid stood watch for over an hour.he gobbled at everything i had but stood pat.i moved again,not knowing which direction the hens would carry him.he and stupid got within 60-70 yards,both in strut side by side.but the hens turned and headed to the far corner.i fought saw briers and vines that all but took my clothes off,i thought i was going to croak!finally,i got to the end of the field in the thicket and tryed to peek into the field.the hen he was following was 10 yards away and saw me when i saw her.i purred and she settled down and kept coming towards me.strutter was in full bloom and in tow.at 20 yards the hen went back out to the field and he turned to follow.i was in full foliage and could not see him well enough to take the shot.i took a sidestep and saw his head and clucked.nitro does it's job.i was disappointed at the 8" beard but he had fencepost spurs and was the boss.i am happy and know that stupid is alive[and has a good beard]and there are at least 8 jakes to take his place.it has been a hard season but a good one.

jim lott
Old 04-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: season over for me finally

congrats on a great season, thanks for sharin' em with us
Old 04-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: season over for me finally

Sorry to hear about your tough season.

Congrats on your third bird