Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Did i just Screw UP?

Old 04-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Did i just Screw UP?

hi, i went out last weekend, 2 weeks b4 my season, i was callin some birds with my slate. I called in one bird, the rest of them i only heard gobble, but i called one in. He came in about 20 yrds, then i quit, and then he just sorta wondered off, kinda clucking as he went. Do you think this will affect the tom's ? like will they remember coming to that call and finding nothing? and also if i bought a new striker (so it would have a slightly different tone) would that help ?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Did i just Screw UP?

Don't call birds in before the season. [:@]
Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did i just Screw UP?

Dont worry about it. Turkeys brains are not that complex. You are fine, preseason calling is a great way to get better at calling in turkeys and lets you know where birds are. I dont buy in to the you will mess up your hunting if you make turkey sounds b4 season. There are some places, like on heavily hunted public areas where there could be some effect but a turkey isn't gonna reconize a specific yelp and say hey there is no hen with that yelp. I have had better success doing late season hunting that early season and that is after the "dumb" birds are gone and the others are "call shy". So good luck and let me know how you do.