Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Did I screw up??

Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Did I screw up??

I recently had the barrel floated and the stock glass-bedded on a Remington Model 700 in .270 (synthetic stock). I also had the horrific 7.5 lb trigger pull reduced to 3.5 lbs in an effort to improvemy accuracy. The trigger is ALOT better now, but the gun seems to have lost consistency in its grouping capabilities. I am shooting the same bullets as I did before the floating and glass-bedding(Federal Premium 130g btsp), and all ofmy bullets have the same lot number. I have tried different bullet weights and manufacturers, but can't seem to achieve any consistency with the grouping (2'' at 100 yds is the best I have been able to achieve). My accuracy was better before I had the work done (1" group at 100yds).

Someone told me that a Remington is not supposed to have the barrel floated....that it is supposed to have approx. 10 lbs of pressure on the barrel.

Did I screw up?......and if so, can I simply order a new stock and fix this problem?

Any advice is appreciated!!

BTW......I clean my barrel thoroughly after every 20 shots with copper solvent.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did I screw up??

Very common problem,easily fixed. Remove barreled action from stock,cut a couple of pieces from plastic(milkjug works),lay in end of barrel channel toward muzzle. Experiment with thicknesses(upward pressures) while testing groups.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Also, make sure you have no heavy copper fouling. I have seen and had rifles that shot poorly when I received them. I've learned from an old timer that before you go spending alot of money on a gunsmith's work, get a good copper remover and scrub the snot out of the barrel. The patches must come back white before you're done. Cleaners will make the patch blue or green depending on the maker of the copper remover. If at first your patches are heavily blued or greened, you've got alot of copper.
Clean out all copper, then return to the range. You may see a world of difference.
If not, move on to stalking bears remedy and try that also.
I've never had to float and bed a remington. They've always shot well enough with my handywork to avoid the smith.
Good luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

This happens once in a while. Some guns just like some forend pressure. Adding shims as previously recommended by stalkingbear may solve the problem. If it does, all well and good. If not, you may want to ckeck the bedding of your recoil lug. I like to bed the lug with some clearance at both sides, bottom, and face of the lug (muzzle side). A little work with a Dremel tool can clean it up. Just what generally works for me. Just make sure the back side of the lug maintains full contact with the lug cut.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

P.S.....Also make sure your action scrwes slide in and out of their holes in the stock freely.