Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 calling before the season starts >

calling before the season starts

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calling before the season starts

Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default calling before the season starts

i am glad people get out scouting and also glad they are learning and having fun. but am i the only one on here that thinks calling to turkeys before the season is the worst thing you can do. ive been reading a lot of posts from people calling before the season and i just cant see how that is a good thing. yes its fun to do but all it does is makes it harder when the season starts.. so what all do you think, are you for it or against it???
Old 04-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Default RE: calling before the season starts

I have always heard that it just educates the birds. I forgot my crow call this weekend and i was using my mouth calls just trying to get one to gobble and one came in silent and we jumped him at 40yards.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are right PA Gobbler. I think its the worst thing to do also.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 PM

The only way I would use turkey calls such as hen calls is the night before opening day so I could get an exact location on a bird before he goes to roost. So in the morning there's no suprises. Other than that only owl and crow call calls even then they can ignore them. PS don't call it only hurts you in the long run.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm against using hen calls before season, and I don't do it. I stay strictly to crow, and owl hooters. I'm not against using a jake gobbler call to locate toms. I just don't understand why any one would want to risk educating birds just to get a gobble out of them. If they're not going to gobble to a crow or owl, then chances are they're not going to gobble period. I've also used pelated woodpecker, and hawk calls to get toms to shock gobble. I've had my most gobbling succes with the owl hooter at dusk, and the crow anytime during the day. I'm so picky on this even during the season I most often use my crow call to locate toms while hunting mid morning over walking the woods, and yelping with a box call. I feel so many people are walking around yelp, yelp, yelping so much it hangs the birds up. They aren't dumb, and know somethings not normal. I especially can't stand those road hunters who drive around, stop yelp,yelp,yelp out the vehicle window. Gee now there's a surprise a hen riding around in a vehicle yelping. I prefer to just setup in a spot, and do some light calling. Even if toms aren't gobbling I know they're out there someplace, and I've had a few come in silent. I think turkey hunters get caught up too much with the gobble.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:35 AM

I am against using hen calls before the season. If more hunters witnest what I have they would stop the practice. In my early years hunting turkeys I read you should never hen call to toms before the season so I didn't. One morning I was calling to a couple goblers.
A vehicle stoped at a pull out and cut the engine. The gobling stoped before the truck came to a rest. The unmistakeable sound of a box call sung out a few times, then a few more. After waiting a few minutes the vehicle started and drove off. One minute later the gobling resumed. Now this happened two more times with diferent vehicles and calls that morning . Yup, its pretty simple.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:11 AM

I don't think you could stop some people from doing it if it were a law![&:]
I use only a shock call.I have used my diapharam in the evening befor the season to locate a gobbler at roost time.I will cackle at flyup.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this is the dumbest thing that people do.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i guess I'm not convinced. I know that in some cases it could have a little effect but I have never had an experience where it hurt me. I kill most of my birds in the late season, after they have been called to and educated for over a month. I dont like to get aggressive or real loud but preseason calling isn't all that bad. I dont think you can educate an animal with a brain the size of a kiwi.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was thinking the same thing i mean when im at my cousins i see turkeys allthe time but there like 200 yds away ina field and i call to them just to get them to gobble thasts about it