Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

IM GETTING FRUSTERATED

Old 04-14-2005, 10:48 AM

Default IM GETTING FRUSTERATED

These stupid birds are really starting to make me mad. Im in iowa why arnt they gobbling im on private ground that turkeys have never been hunted on. I know for a fact that there is birds there cause i see them they just wont gobble of respond to a call, they can be 75 yards away and i call at them and it is like they are deaf and cant even hear me.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Default RE: IM GETTING FRUSTERATED

Sounds like they have plenty of company to keep them busy at the moment. If they have penty of girls with them, there is no need to gobble.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Give it time, when the hens begin to leave it should get real exciting for you.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM

try some fighting purrs to try and get the hens to respond. Usually if the hens respond so will the tom's. The hens might even come in looking for a fight.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Spike

deer-hunter18,

You said that you can see them. If possible use your time in the field to pattern these birds. Right now they are very likly to roost in the same trees and travel the same direction after flydown. Try to get thier routine figured out and setup in between the roost and where they are headed. If you can do that I would call very little if any, maybe set out a decoy or two and be patient.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:19 AM

Sometimes a henned up gobbler will follow the girls around to sevice them. later in the morning when they are all serviced and happy he may end up back at the roost site if you call at fly down and shortly after. They seem to be looking for the hen that never materialized.
Twice I have killed a nice tom using this tactic. One bird was comitted to a large field, never leaving it after flydown (because the hens didn't) only to return to his roost area four hours later. I had glassed him the previous day. Before he headed back to his roost the next day I snuck in to greet him on his return.
The other was in the woods after flydown he followed the hens off to wherever, He was back gobbling his fool head off five hours later. I was close by and set up on him...
Both times I was off prospecting other birds only to return to the start of my day to change my luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Deer-hunter18, I feel your pain completely. I used 1 week of vaction for opening week here in AL. I hunted the first 7 days straight and did not hear one bird. I've only actually "set up " on 3 birds so far. I've taken only one. Usually by this time, I'm already closing in on my 5 bird limit. The one i did kill didnt even gobble. I know u probably dont want to hear this but, KEEP ON HUNTING DONT QUIT, they will start gobbling just give them some more time. This will be a good time to try to visualize them and try to figure out there patterns. I know thats hard without them being vocal but it can be done. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

I know for a fact that there is birds there cause i see them they just wont gobble of respond to a call, they can be 75 yards away and i call at them and it is like they are deaf and cant even hear me.
Its like that where I am hunting to.

They are there I seen them but no sounds.

I hope they start soon.

Good Luck on yours
Old 04-15-2005, 10:02 PM

I feel your pain big time. I this whole week off to hunt 1st season and I never heard a think either! now because I got a 1st season tag the only other tag I can get is 4th season which starts in 2 weeks...

Oh well had some nice time alone in the woods and got to see all sorts of little woodland animals that had no Idea I was there...I scared the crap out of a squirl that came in near me and I moved a little bit, he looked at me with that something is not right look, I moved again and I don't think he stopped running till he got to the next county.

Back on topic...I talked to one guy that said he saw 12 or so hens with 5-7 toms, I am no expert and I wasn't there but that sounds to me like they are not breeding yet and they are still flocked up! He called it henned up.....but that doesn't sound quite right if you ask me.